Water Supply Pipe Replacement - Is mine a bodge job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Had a company come out today to run in a new MDPE supply pipe to replace my existing lead. I was intending to do this myself but just didn't have the time to do it.

I had applied for permission for this work from my water supplier (Yorkshire Water) and under their lead replacement scheme if I do my side they confirm their side is lead free. They said the pipe needed to be laid and terminated at the property end and then left for connection by them.

I explained this to the new company but wasn't on site due to being at work so my wife was in. I had looked at various documentation regarding the standards when I was going to do it myself but am not sure of what is a requirement and what is just best practice, as a result I have several concerns:
  • They have laid, connected, and backfilled without any inspection by Yorkshire water.
  • I was under the impression that the minimum depth was 750mm including where the pipe enters the property, theirs enters practically at ground level, only about 30cm below the air brick under the floor which I know is at almost ground level.
  • The pipe is not lagged where is passes in the floor void space.
  • The pipe is punched directly through the foundation, not in a duct.
  • No proper stopcock appears to have been fitted on the MDPE, it goes down to 22mm copper then a 22mm to 15mm push fit elbow with a normal inline 15mm isolating valve like you would have on sink taps.

View media item 101257View media item 101256
Can anyone with experience in these things advise please, I was planning on getting advice from the water board tomorrow before they come asking for the invoice to be paid but I would appreciate any insight.

Thank you very much in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Oh dear ... No ... No ..... No ..... No ......!! That's ridiculous & a bodge it certainly is .... Nor it is installed to regs.

Get them back out to rectify, if they have any issue with that then get your water authority in to inspect it and condemn it and then get the lads round to "have a word" ;)

Oh dear ... No ... No ..... No ..... No ......!! That's ridiculous & a bodge it certainly is .... Nor it is installed to regs.

Get them back out to rectify, if they have any issue with that then get your water authority in to inspect it and condemn it and then get the lads round to "have a word" ;)

Thanks Rob much appreciated, I was fairly sure it was a complete bodge as it has all the hallmarks but my only experience with water supply regs is from reading up when planning to do it myself.

No sleeve, no lagging, no check valve, no drain cock, no proper stop cock/valve.

Plus it looks like utter schit. My 10 year old could do better.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No dleeve, no lagging, no check valve, no drain cock, no proper stop cock/valve.

Plus it looks like utter schit. My 10 year old could do better.

Thanks Dan, despite not being a plumber the rest of my engineering experience said it was complete rubbish I just wanted to be armed with some second opinions.
Indeed I could have most certainly done better myself and took pride in it, perhaps your 10 year old could earn a few bob next time... :D

Certainly doesn't look anything like:
View media item 101258
Cheers,

- Phill

That is bloody awful, did they arrive on horseback? Crikey, I've seen DIY'ers do better before asking for advice. Pipe should be at least 760mm deep, snake slightly through the trench, be protected with sand, and be ducted where it enters the building. Alternatively a 'Groundbreaker Insuduct' can be used to bring the pipe up and through the wall above ground level. https://groundbreaker.co.uk/products/insuduct/

I'd invite them to come back and do the job properly, (including exposing buried pipe for inspection), before even thinking about paying them.

That's the difference between a £500 job and a £5000 job.

For them to dig in the subfloor they would have to lift the floorboards and remove whatever unit the pipes are in, probably get and electrician to move that mess of wires. Looks like they have come through as deep as they can to avoid digging inside. But they could have cored it and sleeved it still.

The pipes above the floor. I have no words, that's the difference between a £5 job and a £50 job :LOL:

Well, I suppose Bradford is known for being full of Indians, so I suppose it follows that there are also plenty of cowboys. :)

Just glad this is one case where someone has asked for advice BEFORE paying up.

I don’t think that Yorkshire Water will be hooking their supply up to that b0ll0x :eek:.
They’ll probably just pi$$ ‘emselves with laughter :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back