Waterproofing MDF board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been tasked by my boss to come up with a solution to waterproof a piece of MDF board, 600 x 400mm
It is to be placed outside mounted on a post with a sign on it. My suggestion, (bit tongue in cheek), was to suggest dipping it in a tray of hot molten wax and allowing it to drip dry. He didn't go for it. LOL

Does anyone know if/how it can be realistically done?

Sponsored Links
The worst possible choice for exterior use.....do choose something else - anything else!
John :)

I've said that to him. Suggested we should by some marine ply, say 9mm minimum thickness, and we would have a better chance of it lasting. At the moment he is looking for a quick, cheap solution which is going to cost more in the long run.

Sponsored Links
perspex/acrylic sheet and plastic stick on letters or symbols
different colours /luminosity available
wooden frame if required to support the edges

perspex/acrylic sheet and plastic stick on letters or symbols
different colours /luminosity available
wooden frame if required to support the edges

It's a plastic 'Assembly Point' sign that he wants to stick to it. I suggested getting 2 pieces of mild steel from a local engineering company and giving them a few coats of paint but he wants to use whatever we have lying around. To prove my point over the MDF I'll leave a small piece out in the rain over the next day or two and then take it in to show him what happens. He's a good boss in many ways but sometimes won't listen to the voice of experience.

Maybe you have something like Correx plastic kicking around, or perhaps a scrap of polycarbonate roofing?
You’ll spend ages preparing and painting other materials!
John :)

Think I'm just going to have to convince him it's a non-starter. He's a paper pusher type with limited diy knowledge so it may be a bit of a battle.
You can say that again, although the word I'd use is far harsher. You'd be far better off getting a piece of Foamalux or the like from a sign writers (or Amari plastics) - plastic, weatherproof, relatively cheap and maintenance free. And it won't rot, unlike wood products

It's a plastic 'Assembly Point' sign that he wants to stick to it. I suggested getting 2 pieces of mild steel from a local engineering company and giving them a few coats of paint but he wants to use whatever we have lying around. To prove my point over the MDF I'll leave a small piece out in the rain over the next day or two and then take it in to show him what happens. He's a good boss in many ways but sometimes won't listen to the voice of experience.
Yes but maybe not thinking straight. If he calculated the extra time it'll take you to faff about trying to find a solution for the existing piece of mdf, plus the cost of any additional stuff you need to buy to make it more suitable, he'd quickly realise it makes more sense to bite the bullet and buy an alternative solution instead. Most of the solutions suggested above hardly break the bank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back