Wavy wood door panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some doors dipped (it was the only way, the paint wouldn't come off by hand!) and one of the panels on one of the nicest doors has gone wavy as it's dried. I suspect the panel has different pieces of ply on the front and back and it's only gone wavy on one side (behind is flat). Anything I can do to repair? (I'm very much a beginner!)

Sponsored Links
wet dipped can ruin doors the joints can also open up as the acid can eat or weaken the glue
you need a new panel a router and a bit off moulding to match

anything else is just as hard as in scrape off the loose surface and replace with as thin a ply layer you can get or glue a veneer layer on

Sponsored Links
I might be able to do that, though. I don't even have a router (and I've already bought far too many power tools this summer, Mr Purple might moan if I bought another!) The grain on the ply is lovely, so it'll be hard to match, but worth a try!

you can do it with a circular saw and oscillating tool and reuse the timber you cut off but you need to be very accurate as deviations will show up and the angles will open up a bit [about 2mm]and need filling

I don't have one of those either. Only a mitre saw. I don't think I can be that accurate with it.

The other seven are absolutely fine. I reckon this one warped because I tried to strip it myself, but after about a week of work I'd only stripped on panel, badly, so gave up. That's the panel that warped.

Anyway, what's done is done. I'm trying to fix it, not whinge about it!

321 - can you give us a pic, please?
If its what I'm imagining, the ply has delaminated in the form of a bubble.....is that correct? Just maybe its possible to slit the veneer with a blade and then squirt some pva glue into the space beneath. You would need some method of cramping the panel flat, of course.
I've had numerous doors dipped and stripped with no problems, and wouldn't hesitate to have more done if necessary.
John :)

Thanks John. Yes you have imagined right. Except as the bubbles are long, I was seeing them as waves, but they are essentially bubbles. I have clamps, I have lots of spare wood I could use to flatten it. And I even have PVA. Will try that one!

make sure you put paper between the clamping blocks and the ply surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back