Weekend Quotes

Zampa";p="766912 said:
What about 'Luv' or 'Babes ???

Be still my beating heart. :oops:

I know what you mean about new work, when I did it about 10 years ago it was shat money then.
I got speaking to a painter in the pub the other week, and he was on new build, so I asked him what the going rate was for a complete house.
He told me he and his mate works together on one house at a time, and he says he gets just over £750, but that is between both of them. :eek:

I couldnt believe it, why would anyone want to do new work for that price :evil:

Sponsored Links
Cos some of them aint always capeable of doing much else maybe?

The last site I did was direct to the building company I was getting 1750 quid for a three bed bungalow which me and my apprentice were doing in about 7-8 days taking off the materials I was doing well...even better when I gace my apprentice one to do on his own..ok he took about 20 days and I paid him extra as well but I still earn't pretty well out of it.

The money is there on some new work but the trouble is its subcontracted down the line, in some cases 3 times...will everyone else creaming a bit of along the line..for doing sodall.

I handed the site over to another contractor when I went into the job im doing now...he immeadiatly put the price up by 400...and gave the job to two poles and paid them 600 quid!...who then, using their heads struck a deal with the site manager, got him kicked off and took it on themselves!
(good for them too!!)

Down here painters have to knock one out (a house!!) every three days to make anything out of them...thats between two of them...hard going.

So whatever we are making to can bet your bum that someones else up the line has made a lot more

Stuff site work.

Oh, you have got me wrackin my Brain where the 'be still' quote comes from now! .... :confused:

Sorry Spice, I did not realise that you were female. Old Army habit "if you call everybody mate, they can't do you for discrimination".

Don't want to rant on answering your question on here as it si massively off topic. My e-mail is in my profile, feel free to drop me a line and I will give you the benefit of what I found out the hard way.

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
Any work performed AFTER 3:30 is normally time and a half any week end work is either time and half or double time

Say your charing $200 per hr Mon - Fri and someone calls on a Saturday then I tell them it will cost you $300 per hr or any part there of min of 2 hours and materials of course.

Many people will then say ok lets make it for Monday or Tues . If not then I feel I was well compensated for my time ESPECIALLY during the winter months when I get a no heat call and the blokes cannot get their regular gas fitter /plumber.

The union employees get double time and triple time so why should I work for less then I would pay an employee?

They all think we swan around in our vans, work from 9 till 4 then go up the pub every night
You mean you don't :?: :LOL:
Dammit that's one of the reasons I went self employed,nobody warned me......working for living aaarrggggg :!: :eek:
I try to always leave my sundays free (to go to church of course) but will use them at a push,get nagged by the wife though but now the kids are getting bigger they urge me to work weekends,means they don't get so much grief about tidying their rooms etc ;)

the reason i prefer to quote in the morning, is i'm not as sharp as i could be in the evening.

a cheap quote for me is £10 - £12,000.

two storey jobs start at around £25,000.

i don't need to be making any silly mistakes with the pen, i can do enough of those with the trowel! ;)

early saturday morning it is then. i can meet the client, measure the job or obtain the drawing, be back at home and have the quote typed by 11:30am.

i have tried doing evening stuff, but i just end up going back to the job again, having maybe forgotten something. mistakes at the quoting stage can cost dear. there are an awful lot of items to quote for in the average extension.

I'll work weekends if I have to for quotes. Its a fact of life that customers have to go to work too so they aint always available Monday to Friday 9 to 5!

I advertise that we are available for work at weekends but a call out is charged (which is something we dont charge between 8:30am and 6:30pm monday to friday) its surprising how little we do get asked to work at weekends!

I do however have a core of very special customers who I bend over backwards for as they helped by recommending us to others when we first got started up. I will work for them at weekends without a premium or call out charge.

In business youve got to take the rough with the smooth and in a very competitive trade like plumbing and heating, every little edge counts.

But the worst thing about it was, being the painter and the last one in..putting others trades work straight...and having to work weekends to get it finished on time. :evil:

The other thing I hate...especially on site...no heating light or water in the houses...too dark to gloss up till 9 in the morning...sometimes later and after 3 in the afternoon.

Then the people move in the heatng goes on everything cracks, the flourescent lights go on and your left with a pile of snagging all becasue the contractor was too mean to sort the services out!

ffs stop moaning!

But the worst thing about it was, being the painter and the last one in..putting others trades work straight...and having to work weekends to get it finished on time. :evil:

The other thing I hate...especially on site...no heating light or water in the houses...too dark to gloss up till 9 in the morning...sometimes later and after 3 in the afternoon.

Then the people move in the heatng goes on everything cracks, the flourescent lights go on and your left with a pile of snagging all becasue the contractor was too mean to sort the services out!

ffs stop moaning!

:LOL:

Who woke you up?????..only stating some facts..but dont take my word for it, any hard done by painter will tell you the same.

:evil:

Who woke you up?????..only stating some facts..but dont take my word for it, any hard done by painter will tell you the same.

Your moaning woke me up, you still nicking screws by sticking em in your knees.

Your moaning woke me up, you still nicking screws by sticking em in your knees.

Never thought of that..I think I'll leave the tube of silicone where it is though... :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back