Weekend Quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to do my quotes at weekends, specially in the winter months, I dont mind too much, but today I have 4, one after the other, by the time I have done them, it will be about 2 ish, and nearly the whole day has gone,and sometimes I go on a Sunday.

Dont get me wrong, it could be getting me more work, but does anyone find it a pain in the neck sometimes,losing part of your weekends.

Sponsored Links
One day, you'll be sitting up in your deathbed, watching your life ebb away.

Will you say "I wish I'd spent more time at work"?

Spice, what's that: a weekend? ;)

Showroom open Mon - Sat, if needed also Sunday afternoon (mostly Londoners by appointment), so that's me.
Hubby: Mon - Fri: installing floors, carrying out maintenance services. Saturdays: delivering wood to next job or DIY'ers, surveys for quotes (if needed). Sunday: shopping for groceries (yeap, he's the houseman too)

Don't take me wrong, I'm definitely not complaining, love my job and so does hubby but we just don't care about weekdays or weekends.

If you don't mind too much, why whinge about it ffs ?

organise your week more efficiently and do you quotes in the evening/at the end of the day. You choose to do them at the weekend.

If I want to work the weekend, I will, if I don't, I just tell my customers that I don't work weekends. End of.

Sponsored Links
i do all my appointments on a saturday morning and the quotes as soon as i'm home.

i refuse to do evening appointments.

organise your week more efficiently and do you quotes in the evening/at the end of the day. You choose to do them at the weekend.

If I want to work the weekend, I will, if I don't, I just tell my customers that I don't work weekends. End of.

Welcome gasman, Your personality really shines through, what charm school did you attend? ;)

If you read my post properly you would have seen I said, 'specially the winter months'.

I do quotes in the evenings in the summer months, it might have something to do with it being light in the evenings around that time of the year.

I see a man that needs a hug :LOL: :LOL:

Unfortunately this is the side of working for yourself that the public doesn't realise exists and comes with the territory.

I do my quotes whenever the customer is available, usually evenings and/or weekends, although I'm usually working both of these as well.

They all think we swan around in our vans, work from 9 till 4 then go up the pub every night :LOL:

i try to fit my quotes in on the way home or in the early evening. At this time of year though, if someone works nine to five it has to be at the weekend due to the lack of light in the garden. I dont like doing it as i try to keep my weekends free, but if thats what needs to be done then thats what has to be done.........still dont like it though!

Paintyspice..

You have to learn to ake time your own..I know exactly what you are going through and its hard...if you dont do them on time you might not get the job..and that job might be the one putting a meal on your table for the next couple of weeks.

When I was self employed it was always the same...soon as six O clock passed...the phone would start ringing.

You dont intentionally do it...you get sucked into it the more busy you get, the price of success I spose.

The dangerous thing is when it becomes 'the norm' once that happens your in trouble...work will run your life.

Think of yourself as a business...a shop, a shop closes at 5...if somone wants something after that they have to come back the following day..YOUR CLOSED.

Tell you something...years ago the phone rang as I was having me tea, about 6 again...I told the wife somthing I have never said before...'tell em im not in and youll get me to ring them tomorrow'...she did and it was liek instant releif from the pressure of work hearing her say it.

Im 8-4 now, employed...I dont even think about work after 4 and never at weekends...and guys I know who have finished being self employed and worked in my place have said the same and couldnt beleive what a nice feeling it was too.

Personly I would shut the 'shop' on a saturday afternoon...and not open it again till Monday morning...keep sunday totally free, you deserve it

Dont work your ging gangs off.!

(oh and if you do new work I have a programme you might find handy)

Welcome gasman, Your personality really shines through, what charm school did you attend? ;)

If you read my post properly you would have seen I said, 'specially the winter months'.

I do quotes in the evenings in the summer months, it might have something to do with it being light in the evenings around that time of the year.

Hi Spice,

I did read your post properly mate, you said that you HAVE to do your quotes at the weekends, especially in the winter months. You don't HAVE to do anything that you don't want to.

I went to the 17 years in the Army charm school mate, the one that teaches you to get on with it and don't gripe. I am now self employed and I DO NOT work weekends. I decided this as soon as I started and although I may have lost a few jobs, I can live with it. No, I am not making a fortune, Yes, I am struggling to get a new business off the ground but I will absolutley not compromise my time with the family at the weekends for anything.

No hard feelings mate, each to their own.

Think of yourself as a business...a shop, a shop closes at 5...if somone wants something after that they have to come back the following day..YOUR CLOSED.
;) We have a shop that closes at 5, but phone is redirected to home. Part of our service, but it never happened someone called after 7pm. Before 8.30am however, that does happen, specially on Mondays when officially I'm having the morning off.
We don't have a problem with that, otherwise the answering machine would be switched on the minute I close the shop door. Like I said, everyone should set his/her own limits/policies on when and how they want to be available for clients. No law or rule, but it's best to be consistent in it, so everyone - your family included - knows it.

Paintyspice..

You have to learn to ake time your own..I know exactly what you are going through and its hard...if you dont do them on time you might not get the job..and that job might be the one putting a meal on your table for the next couple of weeks.

When I was self employed it was always the same...soon as six O clock passed...the phone would start ringing.

You dont intentionally do it...you get sucked into it the more busy you get, the price of success I spose.

The dangerous thing is when it becomes 'the norm' once that happens your in trouble...work will run your life.

Tell you something...years ago the phone rang as I was having me tea, about 6 again...I told the wife somthing I have never said before...'tell em im not in and youll get me to ring them tomorrow'...she did and it was liek instant releif from the pressure of work hearing her say it.

Im 8-4 now, employed...I dont even think about work after 4 and never at weekends...and guys I know who have finished being self employed and worked in my place have said the same and couldnt beleive what a nice feeling it was too.

Personly I would shut the 'shop' on a saturday afternoon...and not open it again till Monday morning...keep sunday totally free, you deserve it

Dont work your ging gangs off.!

(oh and if you do new work I have a programme you might find handy)

Cheers for that Zamps :D , I have given up on new build now, too hard lol, I still do some new work, but not on the scale I used to do.

gasmark9";p="766008 said:

Hi Spice,

I did read your post properly mate, you said that you HAVE to do your quotes at the weekends, especially in the winter months. You don't HAVE to do anything that you don't want to.

I went to the 17 years in the Army charm school mate, the one that teaches you to get on with it and don't gripe. I am now self employed and I DO NOT work weekends. I decided this as soon as I started and although I may have lost a few jobs, I can live with it. No, I am not making a fortune, Yes, I am struggling to get a new business off the ground but I will absolutley not compromise my time with the family at the weekends for anything.

No hard feelings mate, each to their own.

Hi there gasmark, thanks for the reply, but please dont call me mate, hun, precious or even darling will suffice. :D

Slightly going off topic, As you were in the Army charm school, (they have a lot to answer for) :rolleyes: ;)
Did you find it difficult to settle, and set up your business after 17 years in the Army?
Reason I am asking is that I have a very close family member who has approx 5-6 years left then they have done for thier full service.

How difficult is it for them to adjust, when they come out?

but please dont call me mate, hun, precious or even darling will suffice.

What about 'Luv' or 'Babes ??? :evil:

I know what you mean about new work...I never used to bother trying to big for the big sites...the money is krap.

But the worst thing about it was, being the painter and the last one in..putting others trades work straight...and having to work weekends to get it finished on time. :evil:

The other thing I hate...especially on site...no heating light or water in the houses...too dark to gloss up till 9 in the morning...sometimes later and after 3 in the afternoon.

Then the people move in the heatng goes on everything cracks, the flourescent lights go on and your left with a pile of snagging all becasue the contractor was too mean to sort the services out

Sod all that...I prefer tea and custard creams in old ladies houses..in the warm!

Sponsored Links
Back