Weird Light Switch

Sponsored Links
It sounds like someone was using an Earth as a conductor to make up a three core cable which wasn't sleeved to show it & marked appropriately. If it's that old it could well be the original lighting circuit didn't have any earths. Take so photos when you go back of both switches.

In order for the two way switching to work you normally need a three core cable linking each switch or one from one switch to the light and wired as requitred.

It sounds like someone was using an Earth as a conductor to make up a three core cable which wasn't sleeved to show it & marked appropriately. If it's that old it could well be the original lighting circuit didn't have any earths. Take so photos when you go back of both switches.

In order for the two way switching to work you normally need a three core cable linking each switch or one from one switch to the light and wired as requitred.
Hi, thank you very much.
I kinda came to the same conclusion while I was sitting here wracking my brains.
I’ll get some photos when I go back.

Thinking about it the though, I’m assuming the old weird switch was a COM with an L1 and L2 with the ‘earth’ that’s not an earth in the L1 (or L2).

I’ll take a 2 way switch over tomorrow and try that.
I’ll get some photos too just in case it’s not the case.

Thanks again.

You wouldn't have a neutral wired in to a light switch.

Google images of two way switching.

Other than the earth, do not assume that the red wire is live and that the black is neutral when looking at light switches. And never assume that the earth is an earth

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't have a neutral wired in to a light switch.

Google images of two way switching.

Other than the earth, do not assume that the red wire is live and that the black is neutral when looking at light switches. And never assume that the earth is an earth
I said neutral and live to simply describe the wires that were there. I’m aware they’re not actually neutral and live. Cheers

I said neutral and live to simply describe the wires that were there. I’m aware they’re not actually neutral and live. Cheers

Fair play. It may have been more helpful to describe them by colour rather than incorrectly assigning a role to each cable. Sorry, it is not intended as a criticism of you- I have made the same mistake in the past. \\if you only have three cores running in to a two way light switch, then as @chivers67 said, perhaps someone used the earth as a live.

Fair play. It may have been more helpful to describe them by colour rather than incorrectly assigning a role to each cable. Sorry, it is not intended as a criticism of you- I have made the same mistake in the past. \\if you only have three cores running in to a two way light switch, then as @chivers67 said, perhaps someone used the earth as a live.
That’s ok mate. My bad.
I just literally said is as I saw it. You’re right though, the colours would have been better.

I was just more confused over the double ‘earth’ that wasn’t an earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back