Weird noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The car i have is a Toyota Celica ST (1762 cc)

The problem is every now and again i get a loud noise coming from the rear drivers side wheel. I have had thebearings checked and apparently they are ok, i even had the wheel removed and all the components in that area cleaned and greased where neccesary, but the noise keeps coming back.
It lasts for about two minutes and then slowly dissapears and i could go from between a day and several weeks before hearing it again.
It always seems to happen at around 40 mph.
Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.
:cry:

Sponsored Links
can you be a kittle more specific, do you think - are you talking about a knock, (suspension joints) squeal, (brakes) rumble (wheel bearings) or clatter (driveshaft)?
John :)

...if its a whining noise its probably a bearing. Its not usually possible to check a bearing without a load on it, so if you spin the wheel with it jacked up it probably won't be noisy.

Peter

burnerman - Out of the four optiions you have provided a rumble is closest to the noise i can hear.
The noise is extremely loud and even with the radio on loud it is still over-bearing (no pun meant).
I have also been told that the handbrake could play some part in this problem, is that right or not.
:cry:

Sponsored Links
Hmmm I don't know what sort of handbrake this car has - disc, drum or disc drum - but I guess its conceivable that the brake shoes are pads could be rubbing somewhere....I would doubt it though as faults with these parts does tend to be pretty obvious.
My guess is a wheel bearing and as Peter said they don't often show any problems unless they are loaded.
So - the time honoured wheel bearing test. When the rumble / drone occurs, try turning a corner. If its a left hand bend, the right side bearings are loaded and the left side bearings are unloaded. If the noise stops then its the left hand bearing at fault and vice versa.
This may help you but I have my doubts somehow....there maybe some advice on a dedicated Celica forum if there is one.
John :)
PS its not a bloomin' tyre rubbing on the wheel arch, is it? :p
J

Back