Well done Norfolk Police

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of our vans a Mercedes Sprinter was stolen at around 2am this morning from outside Adam's house. He heard it being driven away got dressed and set off in pursuit in his car he didn't see which way it went so just drove around hoping to come across it, but it was long gone. In the meantime Gemma rang me at 2.19am After having rang the Police first So I set out as well looking for it. About 2.56am Adam phones to tell me the Police had just stopped the van in West Norfolk and caught the driver. The driver had kicked off and had to be tasered :D

The van had several thousand pounds worth of tools in it all recovered so big thank you to Norfolk Police. The vans been taken away for forensic examination we hope to have it back tomorrow afternoon.

Strange thing is the van has an factory fitted immobiliser :rolleyes: One of the Police officers tells me you can get a new key cut using the reg number and the vin number off the dash and some false ID. I,ll be covering up the Vin numbers from now on.

Sponsored Links
Thieving cop bas**rds - bet they beat up some innocent bystander and said it was him instead of them, bored and with the facilities to do so. :rolleyes: ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Anyone remember that episode of Thunderbirds (someone told me it was only make-believe, but I thought is was a fly-on-the-wall documentary :LOL: :LOL: ) where Lady Penelope has her car stolen, and Parker presses a button which makes it drive round a roundabout all night while she and Parker finish off their night's beaty sleep. What a great idea!!!

Good to here you got your van back :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The second good thing was that the bast***d got tasered.

As well as having high security locks on side and rear doors, factory immobiliser, with extra security on ignition barrel, we also have a chain and padlock around the steering wheel for over night parking.

At the end of the day when a trademans van gets stolen, its a VERY big expense.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Good you got your van back.
Less good to tell everybody how to get key cuts...

On the contrary, it's extremely useful to know how easily crooks can get keys cut, and what needs to be done to make it harder.

Good you got your van back.

Perhaps we should all have been told that with your vin number(easily covered) and reg number your vehicle can be nicked in an instant unless you go to the trouble that HERTSDRAINAGE2010 has. If any legitimate authority wants to see your vin number they can ask you to remove the covering cant they.

I like the shuffle method.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSbjgXbDUzo&feature=related

But even better.... MAGNAVOLT!!!! :evil: (Unlike the South African 'Flame Thrower' anti theft device, this isn't real... unfortunately!)

Anyone remember the old guy that had wired up his ford sierra so that whenever he parked it up he put a grounding plate under the car there it sat protected by a massive voltage. He got nicked because some **** was given a shock when trying to nick it.

One of our vans a Mercedes Sprinter was stolen at around 2am this morning from outside Adam's house. He heard it being driven away got dressed and set off in pursuit in his car he didn't see which way it went so just drove around hoping to come across it, but it was long gone. In the meantime Gemma rang me at 2.19am After having rang the Police first So I set out as well looking for it. About 2.56am Adam phones to tell me the Police had just stopped the van in West Norfolk and caught the driver. The driver had kicked off and had to be tasered :D

The van had several thousand pounds worth of tools in it all recovered so big thank you to Norfolk Police. The vans been taken away for forensic examination we hope to have it back tomorrow afternoon.

Strange thing is the van has an factory fitted immobiliser :rolleyes: One of the Police officers tells me you can get a new key cut using the reg number and the vin number off the dash and some false ID. I,ll be covering up the Vin numbers from now on.

Thankyou, hmmmmmmmm, Very interesting....

Something not quite fitting in here unless I have my wires crossed.

You say you can get a key with reg no and vin no.

That is probably correct.

However the key would still not deactivate the immobiliser.
keys have to be programmed into the system before they will work . That is my experience of having car keys cut previously. The car has to be plugged into a machine or laptop to synchronise the codes.

This would suggest that the key that was cut for your car was done previously by someone in the motor trade and possibly where you have your van serviced as they would have access to the equipment.
Is there a data trail leading to who asked mercedes for a key to be cut?

I'm sure its possible to get a key cut as you mention but to synch that key to the immobiliser requires garage electronic equipment.

keys have to be programmed into the system before they will work . That is my experience of having car keys cut previously. The car has to be plugged into a machine or laptop to synchronise the codes.

This would suggest that the key that was cut for your car was done previously by someone in the motor trade and possibly where you have your van serviced as they would have access to the equipment.

I'm sure its possible to get a key cut as you mention but to synch that key to the immobiliser requires garage electronic equipment.

The pin inside the key can be removed and put into a new key that has been cut. They are interchangable on Mercs and lots of other vehicles.

When they stole the van, they will have bypassed the immobiliser first, and then used the key they have.

Well you would have thought it impossible for someone to get a key cut with chip programmed for your motor with only the reg and vin number however, it is pretty easily done. Do a google search as I've done today and see how little money it takes to get one cut, it's around £20 for the code plus key blank and cutting:rolleyes: I guess if these crooks have someone bent in a main dealers it really easy unless you have a BMW, then even the legitimate owner can have problems if they lose the keys & code numbers.

Bottom line is that crooks will always work out new ways to get what they want. Providing we try to make it difficult, and keep within the insurer's "rules", there's not much else we can legally do.

On the subject of "mantraps", an friend of mine put some chicken mesh over his back window since he had been broken into a couple of times via this point of entry. Policeman who paid his a home visit to discuss crime prevention methods was happy with this until he saw a crocodile clip connected to a cable leading towards a plug socket ;) :LOL: :LOL:

The pin inside the key can be removed and put into a new key that has been cut. They are interchangable on Mercs and lots of other vehicles.

When they stole the van, they will have bypassed the immobiliser first, and then used the key they have.

So either they had an original key in their possesion at some time (garage-dealer-towbar-roofrack fitter) of which they stole the transponder to put in another key or
They bypassed the immobiliser to use a key without a transponder (Is that possible?) If so why do we even have immobilisers?

Or if the Mercedes has a fixed code key rather than a rolling code key they read the code using a device and then programmed a newly cut key with that code.
doesn't the Mercedes have a rolling code set up?
If it does then according to the key cutting websites it needs the vehicle to programme the key.

Sponsored Links
Back