1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Wet purlins and brick walls

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by Mintnick, 25 Nov 2012.

1. Mintnick

Mintnick

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Help live in a 1900s mid terrace house with a five year old roof. Recent weather heavy rain has now caused wetness to appear to the purlins in the loft and surrounded brick work. Very concerned, only discovered when fetching Xmas tree. What is the cause? Bad pointing? Bad flashing? Also to add chimneys were pointed and capped at time of roof. See images.

Must get this sorted as I write
    I can hear dripping !

Images

More Images if needed.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    More pics of outside of pointing, chimney junction with roof etc required.

4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Being mid-terrace, the cause is a roof leak

5. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The terrace isn't stepped, i.e going down a hill, is it - with the next door property lower than yours?
    John :)

6. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thats a fair bit of water coming from the separating wall between you and your neighbours, if it is not stepped as burnerman said then has your neighbours roof been changed from the original slates.

7. Mintnick

Mintnick

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone thanks for your comments so far, to answer some of the questions I have managed to take some external shots which may help, with your replies? Please see further images.

8. Mintnick

Mintnick

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Further to add, had a look at neighbours, roofs all looks the same style as mine there roofs are as they are, not been changed since I had mine renewed 5years ago. I'll tell u what the roofer who did this must be a cowboy, only 2years ago I had to replace the bay window flat roof, well shoddy I ended up replacing with GRP. I really wish I knew at the time if I could identify that the work was not going to last long! Any other questions pls ask!

9. Mintnick

Mintnick

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Burnerman next door going down the hill as u look at the rear of property to the left.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    From what I can see, the roof tiles seem to be in fair condition.
    However, we don't know how good the flashing is between your gable and next doors, and those stones on the join? they are called the water table and its surprising how much water can come through them if they aren't waterproofed underneath.
    Just some thoughts, but hopefully your problem is simpler - the amount of water that seems to be coming through should indicate an obvious fault.

12. Mintnick

Mintnick

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi John, glad you got to me and with what you say and my further investigation, with my dad today, our conclusion is pointing towards both the flashing and coping stones / water table. Also notice a few bricks in the loft that have blown ( popped out ) and debris over the loft floor as a result. Which must also indicate the problem pointing also towards the coping stones.
    Plus now knowing that the coping stones, as you say, do let water thru, must mean there can't be any water proofing underneath.

There must be flashing issue as well with the chimneys having water trickling down them. And rainning again! Could do with this to stop.

What do you think about ringing the insurance company? Worth a shot? Or down to experience, not worth it?

13. Mintnick

Mintnick

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi John, further to my last reply, what would you suggest, if I would carry the work out my self? Obviously, sort some scaff, which is easy, got a mate who owns. A scaff company. Would you take. Off the coping / water table stones and water proof underneath, in which way would you water proof? Lead over the bricks (gable), my side and next doors? Then stick stones on top, or is there another preferred method to waterproof under the coping stones / water table??? Thanks in advanced!

14. scottishslater

scottishslater

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    looks like its coming in back of chimney to me

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well, speaking as a non roofer here..... :p
    Those water table stones need to be secure and well pointed....officially they should be waterproofed with lead underneath, and hip irons added at the bottom to prevent them slipping. I have witnessed water coming down the cavity (heading for the purlins) on similar houses in this area. I've also seen the water table capped with Flashband but that has to be a bit of a bodge.
    The flashing connecting next door to you needs to be tucked into a groove, rather than just flattened up to the wall.
    There could also be issues with the chimney flashing and pointing, which does look a bit moth eaten! We can't see how good the flashing is at the back, where water descends from the ridge.
    Whatever, I do think you need an expert opinion here, and the solution will need a scaffold erected.

16. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    such erudition! absolutely brilliant! :)

17. theoldun

theoldun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is a woody special. Splash and dash :LOL:
    Regards oldun

• Thanks Thanks x 1