What’s going on with this yoke?

Four options
1. Get a new switch for the fitting.
2. Fit a new switch somewhere else
3. Buy a whole new fitting
4. Bypass the switch so the light is no longer switched, but rewire the feed so it comes on with the room lights.

Simples!

Thank you. Good advice.

can I ask - is there a luminaire similar to the one I have but with a switch instead of a pull chord. It seems like a vulnerable part of the luminaire so I presume a switch is less vulnerable.

Sponsored Links
I just wonder every time I see it; in the thread heading, what is "yoke" ?

Is it a typo for something I can't think of?

I just wonder every time I see it; in the thread heading, what is "yoke" ?

Is it a typo for something I can't think of?

i know three types of yoke

- a mantle that you’d put on an ox which attaches to a plough
- the hook at the back of shirt so you can hang your shirt (I think it comes from the word above)
- and, in this instance, a commonly used Irish word to mean thinga-me-Bob or a whatcha-ma-call-it.

You now know 4 types,
Older electricians like EFL Impudence :) and myself , refer to this as a YOKE, its for mounting Grid switch.
upload_2022-3-8_18-24-3.jpeg

As for your light it looks like a shaver light, most if not all have pullswitches as they were designed for use in a bathroom, they tended to have a permanent supply so the shaver socket worked even when the light was off, obviously the pullswitch then would allow you to turn the light off, as you would not want it permanently lit.

Another way to repair it is to replace the pullswitch with a bushbutton switch

41NCAgHKOAL.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2022-3-8_18-22-58.jpeg
    upload_2022-3-8_18-22-58.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Tried to send this earlier and had no reception. Sorry ....

You can buy (or at least you used to be able to) pullcord versions of that switch.

Older electricians like EFL Impudence :) and myself , refer to this as a YOKE, its for mounting Grid switch.
View attachment 263431
Pleased that I am a "young electrician"!!

Some of us youthful guys remember the previous gen yoke........ahem......ignore the words "vintage" and "old", what they mean is "distinguished" and "experienced"......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113707107994?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1Ta1RlFWzRjSndiKhhzB4kw94&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=113707107994&targetid=1596500855469&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=1007118&poi=&campaignid=15278604175&mkgroupid=135429446288&rlsatarget=pla-1596500855469&abcId=9300698&merchantid=113495069&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxaHVjau39gIVIvbVCh1yPQceEAQYAyABEgJQUfD_BwE

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That aint that old, theres an even older mk with No earth lug and different shape switch cut out

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yeah, I know there's older designs, but I couldn't find pictures!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back