what’s next then?

• Thread starter Deleted member 292770
  • Start date
I think you established that they do not think it’s justifiable. Question is , is it justifiable to use 3 pages to work out whether something is justifiable?

no, they have only said that (some) private owners should not be forced, for example the ones who are very old or who own hardly any rental properties.

they have avoided answering the actual question.

Sponsored Links
surely we could enforce the right of private tenants, to buy their homes from BTL landlords, at a substantial discount.

No reason why not, surely.
Maybe in China, not here.

Any hint at that and I'd kick my tenants out at the end of the tenancy (the remainder of the 6 months, section 12 ) and convert the gaffs to HMO's, with individual tenancies. Then no single one would want or be able to buy the building. The aggregated rent's higher for that too. Some households would be homeless as a result.
Or I mght sit on the properties, empty, while the price goes up, and vote out whichever incompetent gov passed the stupid law.
If any tenant miraculously garnered the funds to try to buy the property at the end of the tenancy, I would then say I was going to move into the place myself so it wasn't for sale.

Tenants lose, and have to pay more rent in future because fewer landlords would put up with it.

What we really need is a housing price crash. This indicates why

or a snippet
London ranks second, with an estimated construction cost of £181,700, while the average new-build home sells for £533,642. A 194% profit margin for developers. The third most profitable new-build market was Bristol (137%), followed by Leeds (133%), Birmingham (107%), Newcastle (101%) and Manchester (85%).

Sponsored Links
Back