What am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

Installing an infra-red motion sensor for my light in the communal area in my flats. I've got this:

XA337-5NCN-1.jpg

XA337-5NCN-2.jpg

However I don't intend to install it in place of the light switch as the switch is inside my flat. I need the sensor to be in the communal area so it activates when someone opens the front door of the flats into the communal area.

So, if I want to install it in-between the cable from the switch and the light in the communal area, Should I just feed the live into one side of the infra red sensor then take another live cable from the other side, onto the light? Or do I need to use the neutral cable too?

Sponsored Links
You need an electrician to do the work, you will also need permission from the building owner and probably need a warrant - I'm not 100% sure on what the Scottish building regs call for so you'll need to double check.

Hi,

Looking at the photos you have put on the forum the diagram on the back seems to indicate that a live it taken in to one screw terminal and comes out of the other up to your light. The neutral is shown taken direct to the light in your diagram.

So it would appear that the sensor you are using needs only a live in and out to the light.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes

Rex

can't see any CE mark! personally I wouldn't advise you to fit them, but to seek professional help from a local electrician that knows how these items work.
likely that these are not safe!

Sponsored Links
How long is the corridor/how many flats/any stairs?

You may need more than one of these if the corridor is long, as people leaving their flats will need to activate the light.

This can only end badly.
For those that don't remember, attractivebrunette is the person who asks endlessly for advice, only to then question every detail and eventually ignore it and do whatever they like.

They are also the person who a couple of years ago attempted to wire a 4 ring electric hob with 0.5mm flex.

get rid of that cheap dangerous chinese tat and buy an english version
and then hope your landlord is understanding when you interfere with the communal lighting putting yourself and other tenents into potential danger by doing work your neither qualified or authorised to do

This can only end badly.
For those that don't remember, attractivebrunette is the person who asks endlessly for advice, only to then question every detail and eventually ignore it and do whatever they like.
Do a search for her topic on flue liners or chimney liners - it's a classic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back