What are the general rules when tradesman asks for a deposit?

I wouldn't mind going to his supplier and purchasing/collecting the item myself as that would remove the risk...

So long as you can get a refund in case he doesn't turn up, and the next plumber says they prefer to use their trade accounts and not supplied goods, as they cannot guarantee the work if the customer provides the items etc. Don't forget, summer is here, some people do take holidays at short notice!

Personally, I'd look for another plumber. I know they are hard to book in these days, but i wouldn't feel happy paying £2k cash transfer to somebody i don't know without any contract.
Companies do dissolve and people start new ones, often with good reason. I don't think gas safe register indicates reliability of trader - all plumbers working with heating systems need to be gas safe, don't they?

Maybe try trustatrader - they have a system in place (not all traders I think) where you only pay via their site when work is complete - takes the worry out. https://www.trustatrader.com/payment-service
No idea how many traders use that service though. But still probably a good place to start if you have no personal recommendations.

Sponsored Links
The tradesman has requested just over £2k (over 50% of the total amount) to be wired into his account for all the materials

I would offer him £500 as a deposit, no more and just to show good faith. Even that, I would make sure was traceable. I assume you have assets, maybe own your home, so he could claim for none payment if your defaulted. I would be wary of anyone asking for money up front, until some work has been commenced, then you make agreed stage payments, as each stage is completed.

I don't often need to employ people, but I have never had to pay up front for a small job. New boiler last year, I paid cheque once the job was completed.

I have never worked with him, he was not recommended, no contract, he was simply taken off the gas safe website..

Also, is there any concern regarding the fact that his business was dissolved a four years ago?

Yes, those are reasons for concern -esp having a dissolvvd co in the past.

You could
Politely say you would like to go ahead but without a deposit, but appreciate he may not accept those terms. (No deposit or say 15%).

Yes, those are reasons for concern -esp having a dissolvvd co in the past.

You could
Politely say you would like to go ahead but without a deposit, but appreciate he may not accept those terms. (No deposit or say 15%).

His company was maybe dissolved as a direct result of none paying customers, it might be worth asking him why he expects such a large deposit up front and why he had a dissolved company.

Sponsored Links
It all depends how you have got hold of the details of the guy/company. Pretty much every scoundrel is on the Gassafe register now. Unlike back in the day when Corgi was voluntary circa (acops) when it was just the good reputable good guys.
I'm pretty bad in taking money upfront/deposits as almost all my work is recommendation. However almost got stung earlier in year did a schedule of works for customer involved vented to unvented..then all new radiators (20ish) then 2 big bathrooms. Bathrooms were loose P.C sum estimates.. Total work was around 20ish grand.. Throughout the bathroom job things sprang up for instance he wanted lights in alcoves and one bathroom had an entire false wall built to accommodate an alcolve length of bath. None of this was in quote he was advised it would cost extra. When it came to end he decided he wanted to pay what he wanted and not the actual bill.
Was mainly tilers bill in dispute. Which was eventually paid after threats of legal action 3 months later.
Anyways the point of that is be sure what a estitimate is and what a quotation is.

No contract = no deposit. Move on and find someone else.

GasSafeRegister will not get involved with financial disputes. It’s just a safety registration and even that can be debatable.

TrustATrader = Your choice. For tradesmen it is a source of work. Some are good, some are bleeding awful. Honestly, ask your family, friends and neighbours and don’t be afraid to ask a trader for some evidence of previous work.

Dissolved company - Ask the guy why.... If he’s genuine, he won’t mind answering.

I would be wary of anyone asking for a large deposit, over about 25/30%.
When I was looking for new boiler estimate s one company asked for 50% up front and the other 50% the day he started the job.

For bespoke items then it would be acceptable, but if you're just getting items that can be returned unopened and taken off the account, then where's he risk for the tradesman?

The 25% restocking fee and wasted time?

I never asked for a deposit but when the materials arrived 75% there and then, balance when complete.

Credit card is good protection, article or clause 75, protects the the deposit and even whole amount if the deposit is paid by card. Got to be over £100 up to tens of thousands, I can't remember the upper limit.

25% restocking fee

This is a con in itself. Most companies give a refund no quibbles if you decide you don't need. Restocking fees are a joke, although they have their purpose of course.

When I have hired people they usually contact me a few days before to confirm the job is still on, and mention they are getting the materials. I guess some customers will string them along til the day of the job then cancel, but not sure that is reason to charge a heft deposit in advance without a watertight contract in place that will recover money if the trader drops dead, does a runner or just decides to do a better paying job elsewhere and forget to tell you ...

If everybody was honest and nobody ever had to cancel anything ever, then none of this would be needed.

When I have hired people they usually contact me a few days before to confirm the job is still on, and mention they are getting the materials. I guess some customers will string them along til the day of the job then cancel, but not sure that is reason to charge a heft deposit in advance without a watertight contract in place that will recover money if the trader drops dead, does a runner or just decides to do a better paying job elsewhere and forget to tell you

Its a 2 way street though. I understand the concern of paying a deposit but in the same vein a trademan could start a job, no deposit and the customer could string him along and avoids ever paying a deposit, then finds excuses to argue the final bill or refuse to pay for extras. I hate to say it but there are plenty of customers that know how to play the game.

Its funny how some customers push push push all the way through a job and then are too busy or 'have to transfer funds' when its time to pay.

The problems with payments are usually more with bigger buikding works jobs than quick in -out jobs like a boiler fit.

Yeah, I get that. This is why lawyers are so bloody rich I guess.

For smaller jobs, I'm happy to get paid at the end up to 3 days usually. If it's a week or more (bathroom refurbs) I will ask customer on first day for some funds for materials, usually cash as I have to visit several suppliers for different things.

I expect money at the end of each week to cover labour costs, for me and whoever I've had to call in.

Keeping things on an even keel, financially, throughout the project seems to me to be the best and fairest path, that way, if there is any kind of dispute, neither party can hold the other to ransom.

Its a lot to do with trust and gut feeling. Most of my work is through recommendation and 99% of my customers are very nice and are as accomodating as I am. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back