Business Practice/Payments/Deposits, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, there's nothing special about the windows.
You're the first person who has said that they will pay £1300 pro forma to a window company.

Sponsored Links
If the guy who's fitting these windows is FENSA registered he's regulated and checked if he's not he should'nt be fitting them anyway.At least as has been said he's not whacking on a large management fee on the materials.

I've since learned that there are question marks over that.

Personally if I was the guy I would walk away from your job.

On the contrary, he really wants the money. It's a shame if he's in troubled times.
But like another poster said, it's not up to me to prop up any cash flow issues.

As someone else says, its trust on both sides of this and also each of you carrying some of the risk

Yes, and that's why we have deposits. And there's nothing wrong with that. Although, in my opinion, and most seem to agree, 50% is too high.

Sponsored Links
Just to let you know I've got somone else (in fact had 4 other quotes and not one wanted any payment up front, which is normal, don't think hardly any do) and all's sweet.

Since learned one or two things that have backed up my suspicions and I'm very relieved! Cheers.

pbar get a life

I have a life thanks. A great one. A very happy one. Happier than yours by the sound of it.

It sounds like you're a tradesman with a recent series of poor customer relations behind you, and there's usually a good reason for that. But I wouldn't like to make assumptions, so I won't.

It sounds like you're a tradesman with a recent series of poor customer relations behind you, and there's usually a good reason for that. But I wouldn't like to make assumptions, so I won't.

Far from it. Not in a business to lose money with rogue customers.
Experience in spotting them makes my life easy.
We just walk away and let some other fool get stung.

Once bitten twice shy, been stung once only 7 years ago, sure wont fund someones home improvrment project again.

So the windows are now getting fitted by someone else and you're happy. So that's the end of this thread. Can we lock it now? I'm fed up with keep seeing it bounce up.

So the windows are now getting fitted by someone else and you're happy. So that's the end of this thread. Can we lock it now? I'm fed up with keep seeing it bounce up.

Yes, fair enough.
We're all happy :D
No more posts then.

(Footnote: Out of the 5 quotes I've now had, one has asked for almost 50% payment up front, and the other 4 have said the usual 'you don't pay anything until it's all done and you're satisfied'. It's easy for one to decide who not to choose/trust.)

In the real world, no other window company asks for 50% up front.
You make it sound as though you know that, but I surmise that you don't.

Before your supplier asked you for 50% up front (sic.), you would have asserted that nobody asked for 50% up front, and you would have been wrong, so your opinion is merely that - an opinion.

Yes, they would be my property, (although I am not sure of the legalities of this, as, even though the cheque would come from me, he is still their customer I believe)
Not being sure of the legalities makes something of a mockery of your entire set of posts on the topic. If you aren't aware that maying a supplier makes YOU the contractual customer, then you really aren't in any position to make the decisions that you're making.

and if there's something wrong, an error on the part of the fitter for example, I'm stuck with them.
Having the windows that you wanted, and merely needed a fitter to fit them, is hardly being "stuck with them", is it, hmm? :rolleyes:

If the guy who's fitting these windows is FENSA registered he's regulated and checked if he's not he should'nt be fitting them anyway.
I've since learned that there are question marks over that.
Is there no end to the nonsense that you're prepared to write?!

Of course there's a question - it's the answer that's important. Are you capable of finding that out?

Personally if I was the guy I would walk away from your job.
On the contrary, he really wants the money. It's a shame if he's in troubled times.
But like another poster said, it's not up to me to prop up any cash flow issues.
According to you he didn't ask for any help with his cash flow - he's merely asked you to buy the bespoke goods that you'll be buying anyway.

TBH it sounds more like you're the person with cash flow problems, because I see no reason for you whining about paying for the windows other than not being able to afford it.

As someone else says, its trust on both sides of this and also each of you carrying some of the risk
Yes, and that's why we have deposits. And there's nothing wrong with that. Although, in my opinion, and most seem to agree, 50% is too high.
He hasn't asked for you a deposit. He's asked you to buy the materials at trade price. Most customers would bite his arm off at such an offer.

Just to let you know I've got somone else (in fact had 4 other quotes and not one wanted any payment up front, which is normal, don't think hardly any do) and all's sweet.
You're a fool. You're going to pay someone extra to come and give you a quote, and extra to loan you the cost of the windows, and you have no idea how the job will turn out.

Since learned one or two things that have backed up my suspicions...
Can you not count? Is it one thing, or two things?

And what is/are this/these thing?

(Footnote: Out of the 5 quotes I've now had, one has asked for almost 50% payment up front, and the other 4 have said the usual 'you don't pay anything until it's all done and you're satisfied'. It's easy for one to decide who not to choose/trust.)
Time will tell. You haven't had the work done yet.

Hi Softus, thanks for your post. To answer your points -

1. Of course, I have not asked every company in the world, and I have no proof. But there are none that I know of, and I have yet to hear anyone tell me otherwise. Yes, err.... my post, my opinions. Your post, your opinions, etc.

2. Yes, I do not know the legalities, like I said, but as far as I am aware, the window fitter is the customer of the manufacturer, irrespective of where the cheque comes from.

3. Hmmm....think you're missing something in previous posts here. If there is an error on the part of the fitter, with measuring for example, and the windows come in wrong, or not as wanted (an opener in the incorrect postion for instance), then I am stuck with them, having paid for them you see.

4. He implies that he is, yet has not proven to someone else (who has asked) that he is. As I have chosen to buy from elsewhere, I have had no need to find out myself for certain, hence the question mark.

5. No, I have the cash ready, as I always do before I ask someone to do a job. I merely do not wish to pay such a large deposit as I find it unusual. I do also find it odd that he never mentioned this earlier in the proceedings, as opposed to a couple of days later.

6. No, he specifically said it's a deposit. Two other quotes I've since had are more or less the same cost, so I have no need to assume there's any trade prices, and no need to bite any arms off. In fact I'm better off, as the guy in question no longer offers any guarantees, has zero peperwork, nothing in writing and will accept cash only. Something else I find odd. Now, I'll have a ten year written guarantee, like most other window companies (that I know of) offer.

7. I am not a fool no. I'm not paying any extra, and not paying extra for someone to give a quote, I don't pay for quotes. I have no idea how the job will turn out no matter who does it, which is another good reason not to pay up front, so not sure what you're saying there.

8. 'One or two things' is just a saying, something that people say. I can count thanks. I didn't think it was worth saying what I've found out as I thought the post might move off topic and I don't want to slag the guy off. Though, as you ask, Point 4 above is one of the things. I merely started this thread to ask people's opinions on why he asks for such a large up front payment and if it is normal to do so.

9. Correct, haven't had the work done yet. The stuff is ordered and fitting will be in two or three weeks.

Just let me know if you want anything else clarifying/putting straight. But please refrain from name calling and rudeness. Thanks

Not sure why you decided to repeat all that. :rolleyes:

1. Of course, I have not asked every company in the world, and I have no proof.
So your assertion has no basis in fact.

But there are none that I know of, and I have yet to hear anyone tell me otherwise. Yes, err.... my post, my opinions. Your post, your opinions, etc.
Please show me where I have posted an opinion and made it appear to be fact, or posted a fact that is wrong.

2. Yes, I do not know the legalities, like I said, but as far as I am aware, the window fitter is the customer of the manufacturer, irrespective of where the cheque comes from.
No, I told you that you would be the contractual customer, therefore you're already aware of that fact.

3. Hmmm....think you're missing something in previous posts here. If there is an error on the part of the fitter, with measuring for example, and the windows come in wrong, or not as wanted (an opener in the incorrect postion for instance), then I am stuck with them, having paid for them you see.
It takes very little imagination to mitigate that risk - simply obtain a written warranty from the fitter that the measurements are accurate, and that he will be liable for the cost of rectifying an errors in measurements. Then you pass the measurements to the window company yourself.

4. He implies that he is, yet has not proven to someone else (who has asked) that he is. As I have chosen to buy from elsewhere, I have had no need to find out myself for certain, hence the question mark.
In other words, just some gossip about hearsay about some gossip - not factual at all.

5. No, I have the cash ready, as I always do before I ask someone to do a job. I merely do not wish to pay such a large deposit as I find it unusual. I do also find it odd that he never mentioned this earlier in the proceedings, as opposed to a couple of days later.
Well I find it odd that you're so whiny about it, but that's life.

6. No, he specifically said it's a deposit.
I wish you'd make your mind up - at first you said that his wife said that, not him.

Two other quotes I've since had are more or less the same cost
Which is it? Are they more, or less?

so I have no need to assume there's any trade prices, and no need to bite any arms off. In fact I'm better off, as the guy in question no longer offers any guarantees, has zero peperwork, nothing in writing and will accept cash only. Something else I find odd. Now, I'll have a ten year written guarantee, like most other window companies (that I know of) offer.
He has no choice but to give a guarantee, whether written or verbal, explicit or not. This is your statutory right, and if you're at all unsure then you can simply quote the relevant legislation in your written acknowledgment of the quotation. You do give written acknowledgments, don't you?

7. I am not a fool no. I'm not paying any extra, and not paying extra for someone to give a quote, I don't pay for quotes.
You think that you don't pay for quotes, and you think you're not a fool?!

Who do you think is paying for the four quotations that you've received? :D

I have no idea how the job will turn out no matter who does it...
That's clearly untrue, because you previously claimed that you were happy with the previous work of the first fitter.

8. 'One or two things' is just a saying, something that people say. I can count thanks. I didn't think it was worth saying what I've found out as I thought the post might move off topic and I don't want to slag the guy off. Though, as you ask, Point 4 above is one of the things. I merely started this thread to ask people's opinions on why he asks for such a large up front payment and if it is normal to do so.
So is it one thing, or two things, or more things?

9. Correct, haven't had the work done yet. The stuff is ordered and fitting will be in two or three weeks.
Thank you, but I already know that it's correct - it's extremely rare for me to write something that's incorrect.

Just let me know if you want anything else clarifying/putting straight. But please refrain from name calling and rudeness. Thanks
Please show me where I've called anyone a "name".

Do you not consider it "rude" to post unsubstantiated claims about someone who doesn't have the means of replying to your accusations? Or is that considered good manners where you come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back