What are these weird ugly pipes on wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved from a newbuild flat into a Victorian fixer upper and there are pipes running along the walls. Example attached - first pipe running from bottom of staircase to right by front door. Second running along kitchen wall. Wondering what they are and if there’s anything we can do to hide them. They’re so dirty wondering if we should replace them. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2B227F26-6315-42F8-998C-683AB035071C.jpeg
    2B227F26-6315-42F8-998C-683AB035071C.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 00EE1277-C0EA-48DC-9B53-78490DABBBBC.jpeg
    00EE1277-C0EA-48DC-9B53-78490DABBBBC.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
Copper pipe, can’t tell if 1/2” or 3/4”

Probably mains water but could be hot or cold water feed pipes to bathrooms, heating pipes or gas pipe.

Copper pipe, can’t tell if 1/2” or 3/4”

Probably mains water but could be hot or cold water feed pipes to bathrooms, heating pipes or gas pipe.
Thank you Notch7! Guess I’m just not used to having pipes running up the walls - do people often find a way to hide them in the wall somehow?

Sponsored Links
Second one looks like steel conduit for electrical cables
Not sure about the first. Are they magnetic?

Brian
Thanks Brian :) I don’t know if it’s magnetic… but I can try to find out. Since it’s in the kitchen I guess some sort of electrical cable system could make sense?

scratch it with a knife or similar, soon see whether it's copper or steel.

1st one actually looks like 10mm, not sure why there'd only be one though. 2nd one looks like a soldered pipe to me.

Scratch the paint off, to see the colour of the metal underneath, and/or follow the pipes, and see where they go.

The first looks like it might be copper, perhaps a gas pipe - is there a gas meter under the stairs?

Second one looks like electrical conduit - there looks to be a thin coupling just up the wall, from the bend.

After scratching it with the knife, bang it with the back edge - is the sound a thud or a ting?
The prior suggests water, the latter that it's got air in it.

Ah, but magnets don't scrape the paint off the pipes!
Errrrmmm ... seriously ... have you actually looked at the pictures? No need to scrape the immaculate paint :ROFLMAO:, scrape a bit where the paint's already missing, lots of areas to choose from.

Follow the pipes to where they (may) reappear... the 'other ends' will give the biggest clues to their use (and if still in use or defunct).

Most likely uses are: water (cold/hot/heating) and gas (fire, cooker, boiler, gas meter even).

Does the first go outside through the wall?? If so where then?? What about under the stairs (in cupboard??)

I would guess an electrical conduit on the basis that the coupling two tiles up from the floor isn't a gas fitting

I would guess an electrical conduit on the basis that the coupling two tiles up from the floor isn't a gas fitting
I assumed that was end feed copper, but It could well be a conduit coupling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back