What can you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Making my way home this afternoon, on a half full double decker bus sitting downstairs by the driver, an elderly woman came down the stairs to complain to the driver about loud comments and very bad language being used by some lads upstairs. Foreign (Pole, Ukrainian at a guess) and with not good English, fobbed her off with some comment, so I offered to go up with her and try to deal with it - I had already heard some of the rumpus.

Up I went and it was four young lads occupying the rear seat at the very back, causing the problems, about 12 /13. Lots of other adults up there also complaining. I warned them that unless they behaved, they were liable to be turned off the bus, so best if they behaved themselves and stop being stupid. Which made absolutely no difference at all. Their reply, no problem, we will just get on the next bus. At this several of the passengers were calling for the driver to stop the bus and call the police, at which he just shrugged and pointed to his watch.

What would you have done? Unfair that paying passengers should be subjected to this, but what can you do about it?

Last week it was a couple of young girls doing similar, silly music blasting out.

Sponsored Links
Simples! Just advise the elderly lady to sit downstairs.

What was an elderly lady doing upstairs anyway, most cant climb the stairs.

Reactions: CBW
lucky you didn't get stabbed,

should have called the police yourself, it would have been exciting the police chasing the bus and the driver not wanting to stop cause he was wanting to get home for his tea.

Reactions: CBW
Making my way home this afternoon, on a half full double decker bus sitting downstairs by the driver, an elderly woman came down the stairs to complain to the driver about loud comments and very bad language being used by some lads upstairs. Foreign (Pole, Ukrainian at a guess) and with not good English, fobbed her off with some comment, so I offered to go up with her and try to deal with it - I had already heard some of the rumpus.

Up I went and it was four young lads occupying the rear seat at the very back, causing the problems, about 12 /13. Lots of other adults up there also complaining. I warned them that unless they behaved, they were liable to be turned off the bus, so best if they behaved themselves and stop being stupid. Which made absolutely no difference at all. Their reply, no problem, we will just get on the next bus. At this several of the passengers were calling for the driver to stop the bus and call the police, at which he just shrugged and pointed to his watch.

What would you have done? Unfair that paying passengers should be subjected to this, but what can you do about it?

Last week it was a couple of young girls doing similar, silly music blasting out.
Wow! That's horrific Harry!
Only a couple of days ago, you were complaining that the UK was full up, and you didn't want any more immigrants!
And here you are today, reporting an incident about foreigners playing up. :rolleyes:
Who'd have guessed it!

And of course, you didn't complain about the driver not dealing with it!

Sponsored Links
And here you are today, reporting an incident about foreigners playing up.
I read it that the driver was foreign?

In Jersey last month, some unruly, hyperactive teenagers on the bus on the last day of term were being a bit loud and running about. The driver told them to behave and they did. They wanted to get off beteeen stops and he told them no. It was a fair old ride to the next stop too so they had a long walk back. A few stops later, the bus stopped at a stop and two heavily tattooed blokes in their mid twenties wearing just shorts and trainers tried to get on and the driver said "Shirts on lads, you can’t come on this bus dressed like that". They put their T Shirts on and were allowed on. No arguments. Different culture over there or should I say a noticeable lack of certain other cultures.

Last edited:
I’m confused too.

I thought the lads were foreign, then saw your comment and I think you might be right.

Harry….let us out of our misery

Amazing that a bus driver who doesnt speak english can get a job here.

We boarded a bus in Madeira accompanied by the elderly in laws, it was full and several young people vacated seats for us, we declined as sprightly forty somethings but the oldies were very grateful

In Jersey last month, some unruly, hyperactive teenagers on the bus on the last day of term were being a bit loud and running about. The driver told them to behave and they did. They wanted to get off beteeen stops and he told them no. It was a fair old ride to the next stop too. A few stops later, the bus stopped at a stop and two heavily tattooed blokes in their mid twenties wearing just shorts and trainers tried to get on and the diver said "Shirts on lads, you can’t come on this bus dressed like that". They put their T Shirts on and were allowed on. No arguments. Different culture over there or should I say a noticeable lack of certain other cultures.
Tatts in Jersey, might think twice about going there

I’m confused too.

I thought the lads were foreign, then saw your comment and I think you might be right.

Harry….let us out of our misery

It reads perfectly clearly to me, the driver was foreign, the young lads were locals.
Amazing that a bus driver who doesnt speak english can get a job here.

He was obviously foreign, I didn't say he spoke no English. I have seen him before on the same route, so I was aware he struggled with English.

To be fair to him, after I had returned to my seat, he did stop the bus and go up and had words with them, but his words were no more effective than my own. .When he came back down, I suggested he should ring the police to sort them out, but he declined because that would delay the rest of the passengers. Then to top it, the bus went into limp mode half a mile from where I needed to get off - it was limited to 10mph. A retired bus driver, who had been sitting upstairs, got off at the same time as me and said you were wasting your breath on them.

In Jersey last month, some unruly, hyperactive teenagers on the bus on the last day of term were being a bit loud and running about. The driver told them to behave and they did. They wanted to get off beteeen stops and he told them no. It was a fair old ride to the next stop too. A few stops later, the bus stopped at a stop and two heavily tattooed blokes in their mid twenties wearing just shorts and trainers tried to get on and the diver said "Shirts on lads, you can’t come on this bus dressed like that". They put their T Shirts on and were allowed on. No arguments. Different culture over there or should I say a noticeable lack of certain other cultures.

Did you go to Jersey?

I've just remembered, whilst out today I was approached by a local TV reporter, asking me about the energy cost crisis and how it was affecting me. He seemed rather disappointed when I said that allow I wasn't happy about the rate of rise, it wasn't really affecting me at all.

Sponsored Links
Back