What clown safety tested this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missis came home from the charity shop today with what appeared to be an unused tortilla maker still in its box. Like all electrics for sale in charity shops it had been safety tested, but what's this? A schuko plug plugged into an adapter with no earth connection to the side contact. Just to rub it in the test label was on the schuko plug.
How the tester manages to pass the earth continuity only he knows.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 345
Sponsored Links
Presumably the schuko passed the test and the adaptor was put on afterwards.

I've never seen a PAT machine with a schuko socket. Anyway items sold in the UK have to have a BS1363 plug fitted or else a non removable suitable adapter. The only exceptions are shavers, toothbrushes etc which can have a 2 pin plug and are double insulated.

I'm more interested in a pc of the tortilla maker.

Next you will be telling us the spacing of the adaptor is wrong.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Confirmation of an already known fact.
That the vast majority of 'appliance testing' comprises sticking a label on. Nothing else.

Confirmation of an already known fact.
That the vast majority of 'appliance testing' comprises sticking a label on. Nothing else.
Or sometimes turning the selector switch to each position, pressing the test button, and making sure the green light comes on.

It's possible it's not, but with molded European cordsets if there is no earth required the manufacturers tend to use a 2-conductor cord with 2-pin plug, not the Schuko style.

The standard adaptor
l_00939723.jpg
would have been OK and it is possible some one in the shop wanted the adaptor themselves so had swapped it.

Can't really blame the tester is some one alters it after testing.

Also I see nothing in the inspection and testing of in service electrical equipment which covers equipment not in service. If I test a piece of equipment which is going to be connected to a cooker outlet or similar I would not fail it because it has no plug. When testing a PC which you know is used to program PLC's in German made equipment which have Schuko sockets inside the panel there for the PC while programming one would not swap the plug for testing, one would simply use an adaptor which most testers carry around with them to do the testing.

And one tests with consideration of the environment it is being used in. So take a radio tested in the Office and use it on the factory floor then the unit is not covered. I personally would never allow fig of 8 lead sets on the factory floor, however I would in the Office.

So a PAT testing label means nothing on any item bought in a shop because you are clearly taking it out of service then putting into service in a different environment, you would need a set of instructions telling you how and where it should be used, not simply a PAT testing label.

I bought a new outside lamp which did not have a plug on it, in fact it did not have any cable on it, and it stated it should not be used where adverse weather conditions like hail is likely, yet it also referred to Part P so clearly designed for the UK. Clearly the user must accept some responsibility and not expect every item to simply plug in anywhere and work.

Clearly the user must accept some responsibility and not expect every item to simply plug in anywhere and work.
And also accept that some manufacturers have only one aim in life. To make as much profit by selling cheaply made, non compliant items to buyers who are not capable of recognising the hazards in the item. Sadly some buyers go for cheap items with an ignorant belief that no one would sell dangerous items.

Last edited:
I have tested in service electrical equipment I will not call it PAT testing as it was not that portable, but the equipment was made in Germany and the EU rules allow for free trade so as it stands we can't ban the imports. The equipment arrived as 14 articulated trailers which all connected together on site until job was complete then it was taken to next site so yes it was portable as the wheels remained in place.

Throughout this equipment CEE plugs and sockets were used but in the control room it used Shuko sockets because as a whole it is portable this is permitted. We swapped one or two for British 13A for kettle and sandwich toaster but in the main the Shuko sockets were left as next job could well be in Germany.

We used adaptors like shown to test parts of the equipment the testing took three men two days to complete often it would be done on two Sundays when it was not in use. Our testing was very exhaustive including testing every safety switch to prove it would stop the required motor it was the equivalent of testing a kettle will switch off if switched on with no water in it. Far more than in a normal PAT test.

We tend to think of PAT testing which should be called "Inspection and testing of in-service electrical equipment" as being just for small items, but it does include all items as as such it has to have a set of guide lines which will fit all.

So there is nothing to stop a German item being tested without a British plug. There is however a rule about selling items in retail outlets without a British plug. So the item you show could be tested without the adaptor then some one has added the adaptor to make it legal to sell it.

I will agree the wrong adaptor was used, and as such the shop should be made aware of their error. But there is nothing which is shown in the picture which would show the person doing the testing made an error.

There are loads of faulty adaptors around, of these three
Adaptors.JPG
as only one has a fuse.
Foreign-Plugs2.JPG
In real terms plugged into an extension lead there is not a problem as there is a fuse in the extension lead plug. The plug adaptors like this
Schuko-UK-adaptor-plug.jpg
with earth connections are made but are rare, but these
Schuko-UK2.jpg
are common. The non fused are not just cheap china imports this one
shaver-adaptor-old.jpg
was British although very old, there should have been a small fuse inside, but it had a screw instead, likely because some one could not find a fuse of that size? so we do need to be wary and inspect adaptors. But the problem with PAT testing it is only valid for the environment in which it was tested in the picture below all items may have well been PAT tested but not for that environment.
Accident-Waiting.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an underside photo of the actual adapter. It has a fuse but also says "Does not earth with side contact earth plugs".

Also I believe the requirement for equipment sold with foreign plugs and an adapter is that the adapter cannot be removable without the use of a tool such as a screwdriver.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 91
About the electric paddling pool. Believe it or not people in the water would be safe as long as :-

1/ they did not touch anything or any one outside the pool or the laptop on the table

3/ the outside wall of the pool is dry

3/ they keep away from the floating sockets.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PROVE or disprove THAT STATEMENT

The potential of the vast majority of the water will be somewhere between the Neutral and Live potentials, an equipotential zone will exist in the water. Only in close proximity to the sockets will there be a voltage gradient in the water between the Live metal bits and the Neutral metal bits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back