What clown safety tested this?

integral
adjective
adjective: integral
ˈɪntɪɡr(ə)l,ɪnˈtɛɡr(ə)l/
  1. 1.
    necessary to make a whole complete; essential or fundamental.
So an extension lead would need a plug, cable and sockets all of which would be integral parts of the extension lead.

As I said before seems the people writing the regulations can't read or write English. All we seem to have proved is the law is a load of rubbish as the people writing it failed to say what they wanted.

However to be fair the BS7671 has been re-written and altered many times much of it to clarify points which were not made plain first time around. If you look at the TV licence law most of it is case law where some one tried to get around it and it was clarified. When I went to school the apparatus used to convert radio signals into electrical signals was called an aerial but painting the aerial black and white does not mean you can get away without a colour licence. Court cases have ruled on it.

I will guess some where some one has tried to get away with not fitting plugs or simply fitting adaptors and likely there is now case law which clarifies what we can and can't do. From the amount of items I have seen supplied with adaptors which did not need a tool to remove it seems likely some where some one has been taken to court and there has been a ruling. I would say to try and get away without supplying something which allowed the item to be plugged in your treading a dangerous path. On the other hand if an adaptor is supplied which does the job it is unlikely trading standards would waste time with a court case.

However as written and published the law is silly.

Sponsored Links
integral
adjective
adjective: integral
ˈɪntɪɡr(ə)l,ɪnˈtɛɡr(ə)l/
1. necessary to make a whole complete; essential or fundamental.
....So an extension lead would need a plug, cable and sockets all of which would be integral parts of the extension lead.
... and
Oxford Dictionaries then went on and said:
1.1 Included as part of a whole rather than supplied separately
Judging from some of your recent posts, I fear that you may be suffering from the early stages of BAS-itis :)

Kind Regards, John

Ups hope I am not that bad? Unlike him I have said that plugs should be fitted and that the errors are likely corrected in case law.

But to my mind the requirement for a tool is going OTT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back