What Do Professional Plumbers Think Of Push Fit?

They do have the same 25yr guarantee as copper !! ;)

Yes. But all that guarantee covers is the price of a new fitting. I found this out the hard way when one blew on me a few years back and caused a few hundred quids worth of repairs.
To answer OP....

I make a big deal out of not using them when I bid for a job. Most of my customers are old folk and dont mind paying to have the work done using endfeed and the odd compression. I've had quite a few push fits fail on me over the years so I dont trust them and I wouldnt have them in my own gaff.

Sponsored Links
Think of how many O rings fail and fall apart on boilers and showers etc why wont this happen in time on other parts of heating /domestic circuit.
I Don`t trust anything tHat can jump off a pipe purely by turning the water off and then back on have seen it happen a few times with push fit that has been on for years with no sign of any leak at all prior

In New Zealand they seam to use plastic pipe & pushfit fittings lot in domestic houses. I know this as my nan & grandad's house in NZ has all of the water plumbing done in plastic pipe with pushfit fittings.

Sponsored Links
I only use the caps as they are well handy but wont touch the rest of speedfit (john guest) stuff ...... I use hep pipe and fittings as long as it aint visible then copper where it becomes visible !!

And that goes for home as well as work ;)

My sentiments exactly.

Hep20 was the first plastic pipe product marketed to the trade under its old 'Acorn' label. The rest were originally marketed as DIY gear so I rarely use them.

I do think a little bit along the lines of horses for courses though and would consider speedfit for portacabin work or instances where copper is likely to be stolen before a tenant can occupy a property.

hep 20 pipes and fittings are used pretty much exclusively around multi milion pound sailing yahcts for domestic cold and hot water systems and heating with very few problems. The only problems seem to be with poor assembly ie. not pushing them in until they bottom, or not fitting the stainless inserts or the best one I came across was when some one managed to leave out the clamp ring. They are also used in 100psi air lines around some of the boat factories which is a good test. They can sometimes give problems on the suction side of pumps where they have been known to let air into the system and let the water drain back into the storage tanks.

Went to a job new years day where a plastic pipe had an inch split on cold main. The pipes were copper until they went into ceiling then plastic in ceiling.

Ruined entire kitchen as old lady couldnt manage to turn off stopcock. Water came through ceiling for 1 1/2hr until on-call guy got there

Seen it happen twice around 8 years and funny enough they both had worcester 24i combi fitted that had overheated and pressure had backed up into cold main and split it ,not even a drop out of prv. When i asked worcester reps they gave a knowing look but would not admit too much

your making it hard to determine who you are attacking this time?
ok feel free have a go at me im used to it from you.
ever tried being constructive? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back