What do you remember about the 70s?

Coleraine Tarten Gang

Coleraine skinheads heading to Portrush on Easter Monday full of cheap wine

Sponsored Links
What I remember most about the Seventies is that it's the decade when the Sixties finally happened; when the Age of Aquarius came of age - at least for us heteros. :D :D :D

Actually, a lot depended on your age at the time. If you were old enough to have a job and a mortgage, you'll remember a grim period of rampant inflation, strikes, power cuts, the three day week and overflowing bins. :mad: :mad: :mad:

But I had just started in the Lower Sixth in 1970 (that's Year Twelve to you young uns) and I was destined to spend a total of six years at university so all the bad stuff went over my head. Even power cuts were a bit of a laugh. The worst thing I can remember about the Seventies was 1979. :( :( :(

PS: Am I the only one who remembers magic mushrooms? :eek: :eek: :eek:

You're probably the only one who's been eating them.
:LOL: :LOL: but us country boys picked and ate them straight from the turf :eek: Which meant that even IF the Plod happened to turn up - IT wasn`t Illegal :LOL: because they weren`t processed in any way :mrgreen: Used to do a 10/10 - 10 mushies and then 10 pints of Real Ale ;)

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Used to do a 10/10 - 10 mushies and then 10 pints of Real Ale

That would be too high an alcohol to psilocybin ratio for me - and I'd be under the table after the fourth pint. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Fifteen mushrooms and three pints was just about right for the students' union disco. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Incidentally, I learnt very quickly that raw ones gave me a bad gut. An hour in a very low oven dried them out and killed off any nasties lurking within. I hope that didn't count as "making a preparation". :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was on Fistral Beach, in Newquay, in the summer of '76, whilst the legendary Noel Edmunds was doing the radio 1 roadshow.

What a summer!

Had my first cornetto in Newquay.

My dad used to knock the firk out of me for misbehaving, often with a belt or strap and the police never came nor did the PC brigade! :cry:

Spacecat wrote:

"PS: Am I the only one who remembers magic mushrooms?"

The rest of us took too many to remember! :LOL:

Being taken out of school by Mum to go watch the afternoon matinee of the film 'Grease', mustn't have been able to get a babysitter, must have been 5 yo? Bad clothes, knitted jumpers, in garish colours, bad NHS specs, vehicle journeys that took forever, looking back, the lack of H&S, and PCness.

My dad used to knock the firk out of me for misbehaving, often with a belt or strap and the police never came nor did the PC brigade! :cry:

Mine did as well, even worse was mum saying 'just wait til your father gets home' you spent all day knowing you were going to get a leathering

didn't do me any harm though and think I am better person for it

Mine did as well, even worse was mum saying 'just wait til your father gets home' you spent all day knowing you were going to get a leathering

didn't do me any harm though and think I am better person for it

My mum was even scarier, when mum was on patrol, no need for belt straps, did as a good boy should!
It didn't do me any harm either, not any serious harm anyhow, nothing that my physiotherapist can't sort out, given time. ;)

~Not funny then but..................

Leaping over neighbours garden wall to grab the biggest conker in the world and landing on a wasps nest!
They are bad tempered thingys and chased me up the street into my nans house and gave me what for!!!
Dad was there stripped me off and chucked into bath, next day shock set in. Week off school with comics and Cream Soda. During the day allowed to lounge/sleep/skive in mum and dads bed watching the tv ( Yeah yeah I know colour TV in the bedroom then!!!)

Falling off rope swing at Adventure Playground ( took my sons there a while back, what Adventure now days????) 18ft up,landed head 1st and broke collar bone, 1st real taste of gas and air!

Basketball final, went for "dunk" to win, got pushed off court. Took foul shot and won match. Jumped up and on landing found ankle was slightly broken ( Gas and Air number 2).

More accidents as things progressed thru the 70`s. In the 80`s motorbikes took a serious role in my life. Then learnt the benefit of ambulances and more gas and air!!

Talking to mother about the above recently and a social worker friend of hers ( grrrr do gooder with degrees in cookery). Today my parents would have been under investigation, as the receptionist at the local hospital knew me on first name terms the general opinion was I would have been put into care and also my younger brother.

What total bullst1te.
My teenage sons are brought up with the same attitude I had. Play hard, hurt hard, learn the lesson. No need for all the H & S equipment today really.Just common sence.

Last one.............see above for common sence.

Suzuki PE175 ( moto crosser bike), around a skate bowl. Overtook all the skateboarders and hit the vertical at about 20mph obviously went vertical, span it 180 got the front wheel under control and came out onto the canal towpath, stopped just before the canal. Got off and looked back, all the kids/lads were cheering.
Think my leathers has a slight lubrication, how I did it I`ll never know. Why is another reason, it wasnt my bike!

God bless the 70`s

Alarm .You could have done with our crowd we used to go armed with milk bottles full of petrol to find wasps nests and dig them out and burn the little bassa`s .
Many a sting off them, worst ones where in the eyes ,that hurt like hell for a few days and required a hospital visit.
Much like yourself i would have been taken into care as there was at least 2 visits a year for various stitches and breaks.
Remember saying i could do a somersault coming off the tree swing, well i was a lot better than i imagined i managed 1 and a half . AH well broken jaw.

70`s
Kids playing knifey with the occasional stuck toe , bow and arrows (powerful as wel)l , french arrows crossbows catapults etc Stealing your older brothers gatt gun and shooting your mates in the a55.

Someone always had an old motorbike or scooter that you could play on the school fields on without the cops bothering till the crashes finally wrecked it.

Thinking anyone who wore skinners and DM`s was hard as nails

Crombi`s ....
High waisters the more buttons the better ....
Side pocket trousers.
Fairisle and shetland wool jumpers

Solatio leather shoes with the soles covered in metal segs you could hear people from streets away and always ended up on your a55 when trying to run round corners.

Didnt bother with moped straight onto 250`s in them days drop handle bars and expansion pipes must have drove the neighbours mental with the noise.

Mate thinking he was a smart ass and polishing his disks with autosol then finding out the pads had nothing to grip as too shiney :LOL: that hurt him

Sponsored Links
Back