What does this mean to you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
trafficlight.jpg

To many drivers round here it appears to mean "let 3 cars through, then everyone else has to stop"

Honestly, this is what happens. Three drivers who actually have a clue about traffic signals go through. Then the 4th driver gets overloaded with information and cant understand why all these cars have gone against a red light. AAAAAH!!!! FFS. Occasionally the drivers in the left lane, turning left, actually move off, because they see everyone else in the other 2 lanes moving! Very worrying, since this signal occurs when peds are crossing the road to the left. They must think the computer that controls the lights has crashed or something. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
poshman said:
It means you have superimposed the pic
:?:
This is a real signal given by a set of traffic lights near my house. It is given in the highway code as a valid signal, yet many drivers simply haven't a clue what it means.

must be a local thing.

Round here we have a different arrangement of traffic lights, not 4 in a column

something like this
sign005x.gif

"A GREEN ARROW may be provided in addition to the full green signal if movement in a certain direction is allowed before or after the full green phase. If the way is clear you may go but only in the direction shown by the arrow. You may do this whatever other lights may be showing. White light signals may be provided for trams"

see http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs01.htm

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt have a clue what do do if I came across that light at the top! I guess it means you can go straight on but have to yield to go left or right? I think I would stop anyway and run out the car with my arms in the air

Most people think green at traffic lights means go, whereas I know it doesn't!

The signal at the top means nothing to me at all. Maybe the HC has changed since I passed my test. What does it mean?

Eddie M said:
The signal at the top means nothing to me at all. Maybe the HC has changed since I passed my test. What does it mean?

Straight on only, I reckon.

Graeme said:
I would....run out the car with my arms in the air

:LOL:

I would agree with John. If there are two green signals, they are usually not in a straight line a la Crafty's diagram.

(Not that I'm disputing what you've said, just that I've only ever seen signals like in JD's diagram).

FWIW there is a green right turn filter light in maida vale, London.
This light is on an Island, sitting next to a light for everything else.
On the left (footpath) is the normal light.
quite often when the filter light comes on the car in the left will zoom off.
I guess filter lights just confuse some folk

it means you canot turn left or right,only straight up until the full green light comes on from amber,then you can turn left or right if the way is clear..it is incorparated at turn right&left junctions with traffic coming from the oppisite direction.makes sense cos it keeps the traffic moving,it's just another filter light...

I have to confess all this new signage etc, is a bit beyond me, on a typical driving day, I encounter no traffic lights, roundabouts and only 2 or 3 junctions. In all seriousness I think people like me should probably re-take their driving test, well possibly the theory part anyway (there was no theory part when I took my test, just a few indifferent questions about the HC from the examiner)

In fact I think it would be sensible, to have your driving re-evaluated every say 5 years?

Most filter lights appear to the sides of the other lights, but where space is tight they may be elsewhere. There was one near us, with a filter light to the side until it got clouted by a passing truck and twisted round the post. It spent the rest of that day confusing traffic approaching from the right hand road. Now the filter light is below the green light.

Sponsored Links
Back