What does this mean to you?

Very stupid signal, it is effectively saying stop and go at the same time.

Much more sensible would be to have colour changing lights, 3 laid horizontally. Each one could represent ahead, left or right, and they would go from red, to amber arrow to green arrow.

Have they even invented colour changing lights yet?

Sponsored Links
Deluks said:
Very stupid signal, it is effectively saying stop and go at the same time.

couldn't agree more!
Much more sensible would be to have colour changing lights, 3 laid horizontally. Each one could represent ahead, left or right, and they would go from red, to amber arrow to green arrow.

some have this without the amber arrow just an amber light
Have they even invented colour changing lights yet?

yes they use them but mainly for trams!
try driving in the towns with trams even more confusing until you get used to the white and red dot signals.

I have to agree that signal would confuse me as well. If there were three separate lanes I would probably take it as "middle lane go, straight on", but at a one-lane juction I would be one of those who stopped until "full green" out of caution. Ridiculous signal, IMO.

Sponsored Links
To stop drivers that jump red lights an automatic stinger should be deployed to puncture their tyres.

Followed by a set of rotating knives.....and a giant foot stamping down from a great height.

The signal in this instance means traffic going straight on, may go. Those wanting to turn left (there is always a seperate lane where theres a filter light), must wait until the light turns full green. It is slightly confusing, because this light appears on only 2 of the 4 signals controlling this traffic, but this is the case on most signals with a filter, the filter light is located closest to the filter traffic.

Given that most people here didn't have a clue, I think there should be a mass advertising campaign to raise awareness of this type of signal. This light has been here for 12 years, and still people dont get it.

This one only appears when someone presses the button for the pedestrian crossing to the left turn road. And even then, 9 times out of ten, the peds have got fed up waiting and gone anyway!!! It can be 4 minutes between pressing the button and getting a green man, due to the cycle time of the lights (if you press it too late in one cycle, it wont work and waits for another full cycle, the same happens in the right turn lanes. It waits for a full cycle unless you pull up early in the cycle). This makes it worse because drivers cant see what they are waiting for in the left lane on the above signal.

lights.jpg

These are more permutations that exist locally to me. In general the ones with the signal tacked onto the side, are better understood by drivers, as they appear "seperate" from the tri-colour standard lights. (Would most people here understood these variations I have just drawn?) Also the ones with a right or left arrow are also better understood, as these generally relate to the minority of traffic, hence the "filter" light, with the main green relating to the majority. The reverse applies in my original example, contributing to some confusion!

I think it would be far better in the circumstance I outlined before, to have two sets of lights, but doncaster council dont seem to like having 2 sets of lights where they aren't seperated by an island, hence the odd combination.
This would be ideal:
lights2.jpg

I might email them with my proposal :LOL:

Its the first time I have seen this post.
I know what I would do if I saw this sign, but I live in London. :LOL:
I have a set that I pass every morning.
They have a straight ahead & r/t filter, they both go green together. When the r/t filter goes red, then those going straight on want to stop.

I think certainly round my area, majority of drivers come from Eastern block.
DO THEY HAVE A HIGHWAY CODE. :?:

Sponsored Links
Back