What happened to the UK fading out incandescent light bulbs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure there was a point in time around 2007 when the UK government announced that incandescent light bulbs would be faded out and one would not be able to buy them any more.

Has this plan been scraped or the phase out date extended?

And how comes "Rough Service" bulbs get through a loop hole?

Sponsored Links
You can no longer buy normal pearl 60w lamps.

Rough service lamps are for industrial use and absolutely under no circumstances ever can you use them as a direct replacement in your house ;)

absolutely under no circumstances ever can you use them

Why can't one use rough service lamps as a direct replacement?

If a circuit and lamp holders can take the wattage, I see no issue.

Whats the difference other than the glass and tungsten filament being designed to take shock and some physical abuse.

You can no longer buy normal pearl 60w lamps.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAGB60ESOP.html (not pearl, but still frosted)

Oh and ebay, online sites, and corner shops, etc...

Sponsored Links
Shops are allowed to continue selling old lamps till there stocks are exhausted, but no more stock is available.

You must not use rough service lamps because the man says so.

You must not use rough service lamps because the man says so.

That is not a reason, but a statement that tries to justifies it's self with no reason behind it.

I was expecting for example something like this: "Because if you use them as direct replacements, the heat from them could pose a fire risk and invalidate your insurance..."

However in reality I doubt they pose any more danger than a traditional incandescent bulb otherwise domestic retail shops like maplin would not be allowed to sell them.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/60w-rough-service-gls-light-bulbs-10-pack-bc-a26kq

They're exactly the same as your traditional lamp except they contain a couple of extra filament supports to make them more tolerant of knocks and bumps.

But the man says you can't use them in your house and you'll be shot at dawn if he ever finds out.

So in reality you can *technically* use them with them being safe and the issue comes up from the manufacture saying you can't use them and thus putting your insurance at risk?

They're exactly the same as your traditional lamp except they contain a couple of extra filament supports to make them more tolerant of knocks and bumps.

I always understood that the filament was of slightly higher CSA than a GLS lamp, and did not reach the same temperature. The trade of of course was lower lumens/watt than a GLS alterative. WHich makes it even more ironic in terms of the green debate that folk are using them to replace the GLS that are no longer available.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Can't they in theory make bulbs that last forever or at least decades?

Thing what puts me off LED lights, is the poor quality of the warm white colour temperature, high inital cost, and the interference they can cause with X10 automation.

I need to replace all my 50W GU10 lamps in my kitchen (all 17 of them) as led's where to expensive at the time of our extension including the kitchen.

Has anyone tried these (see below), if so what is the light quality like.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTSM5WW.html

I'm not convinced the directive to fade out incandescent lamps is legally binding, but the main stream shops seem to comply.

Both the £1 and 99p shops are still selling them in packs of 3 or 4, and they are not usually marked as rough service.

Have not been able to find 150 watt bulbs for several years however.

50W GU10 lamps in my kitchen (all 17 of them)
either you have a restaurant kitchen, or an exceptionally poor lighting design. 850W of lighting is absurd.

Does it include downlights and spots?

I replace 50w gu10 halogen lamps with 7W megaman led lamps. You can't tell the difference apart from on your reduced electric bill.

Have not been able to find 150 watt bulbs for several years however

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAGLS150BC.html

either you have a restaurant kitchen, or an exceptionally poor lighting design. 850W of lighting is absurd

My kitchen/diner is 9 meters long by 4 meters wide (36M2).

The lights in my kitchen are:

17 x GU10 fire rated down lights with 50w GU10 halogen bulbs in.

3 x Slim Linkable Fluorescent Fittings (30w + 30W + 20w)

1 x RGB LED tape (45W)

Total power of lights in kitchen: 975 watts, not to mention my bedroom lighting is 260 watts in total. (4 50w GU10's + 1 60W bulb in ceiling fan.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back