What has become of...

No driver controls ? Nobody on whom to blame in the event of collision ? Can't see beyond Level 4 max.
I say get the driver aids really working well - convince drivers that the aids do the business, then go forward from there - walk before running.
-0-

Hmm, one of the contentious issues. Blame may have to lie with the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Ethics ? Who is to be put a bigger risk of injury in the event of imminent collision ? Occupants of vehicle, occupants of other vehicles (likely) involved ? Bystanders ? Cyclists ? Motorcyclists ? Perhaps he who writes the algorithm(s) should take the blame ? Even the whole tree from coder to Director. How in heaven will a government be able to legislate with regard to bot vehicles ?

https://www.newyorker.com/science/e...thics-offers-a-troubling-look-into-our-values

"...classic philosophy thought experiment called the trolley problem: if a car detects a sudden obstacle—say, a jackknifed truck—should it hit the truck and kill its own driver, or should it swerve onto a crowded sidewalk and kill pedestrians? A human driver might react randomly (if she has time to react at all), but the response of an autonomous vehicle would have to be programmed ahead of time. What should we tell the car to do?..."

https://www.ted.com/talks/iyad_rahwan_what_moral_decisions_should_driverless_cars_make?language=en

----------------------------------

Masdar City in UAE - An example starting from a clean sheet - Have they got it right ? See their fully autonomous city wide 'pod' cars.
Try fitting that stuff in the land of cart track based roads...
-0-

Last edited:
I notice they feel it necessary to have a barrier to prevent head on collisions on "dual carriageway" sections.
autonomous cars.jpg

I'm too old to care, won't happen (or at least be commonplace) in my lifetime.

Dream up an idea - convince a gullible public that it's a good one - make lots of money - deny any responsibility when it goes tits up :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
The point I think EFLI was making was that a pedestrian doesn't need to be aware as the autonomous vehicle would not run a pedestrian down, I.e. no need to move out of the way.

The point I think EFLI was making was that a pedestrian doesn't need to be aware as the autonomous vehicle would not run a pedestrian down, I.e. no need to move out of the way.
Because people expect it. Because a vehicle lurching into movement towards you, even if it's going to stop can confuse you. Because people will take erratic paths and will modify their route if they know they're going to be crossing the oath of a vehicle even if they have right of way. Because not everyone trusts autonomous vehicles. Because people can't see round corners. Because it adds a tiny additional layer of safety. Because EVs are often required by law to make a noise whilst moving. Because of a million reasons.

Edit: in short, it's a silly point.

Last edited:
Yes, of course.

Normal vehicles beep because the driver can't see behind.

Not sure why they have them on fork-lifts when the driver can see.
Someone probably unthinkingly decided they should because other vehicles do.

Because people expect it. Because a vehicle lurching into movement towards you, even if it's going to stop can confuse you. Because people will take erratic paths and will modify their route if they know they're going to be crossing the oath of a vehicle even if they have right of way. Because not everyone trusts autonomous vehicles. Because people can't see round corners. Because it adds a tiny additional layer of safety. Because EVs are often required by law to make a noise whilst moving. Because of a million reasons.

Edit: in short, it's a silly point.
You are as bad as Bobby for understanding things.

Why don't autonomous vehicles beep when they are going forward then?

You are as bad as Bobby for understanding things.

Why don't autonomous vehicles beep when they are going forward then?
Most of them do make a noise now.

But beeping would be stupid because that's associated with reversing.

So, if the lights changed from red to white and vice versa, like a train, it would be going forwards and not need to beep.

upload_2020-9-1_17-38-14.png

Sponsored Links
Back