What has become of...

E

EddieM

Autonomous vehicles? Not so long ago we heard about vehicle autonomy on a frequent basis, now it all seems to have gone quiet.

Sponsored Links
Still steadily working on it. Tesla are one of the more visible companies working on it. They've released software that'll let your car come find you in a car park, they were muttering about releasing a version that'll go park itself for you too. They also can recognise stop signs and do most motorway miles without assistance.

Other companies are working on it too, and might even be ahead of Tesla. But most, if not all, the others are only releasing it when they've got it all working while Tesla are releasing bits as they go.

That's not to say they are perfect, which is a difficult question. Do you aim for near perfect driving or just better than most humans? If you are better than the average person then you save lives overall, but some individuals will die that would have lived if they were driving.

Sponsored Links
Covid-19 has slowed the current progress of "Truck Platooning" which is taking place currently and may be the for-bearer before autonomous vehicles. I think Platooning and crash avoidance will be first and once we have truly "un-crashable" cars with proven track record (which Tesla are rapidly becoming) a move will be made towards vehicles that are human managed rather than driven, maybe a bit like aircraft.

vehicles that are human managed rather than driven, maybe a bit like aircraft.
I hope not, aircraft that will not allow pilot override, and fly into the ground have put Boeing in a really poor light.

I would have thought trains would be the first thing, once the trains can run automatic with the driver only there for safety, then start on the rest.

I hope not, aircraft that will not allow pilot override, and fly into the ground have put Boeing in a really poor light.

I would have thought trains would be the first thing, once the trains can run automatic with the driver only there for safety, then start on the rest.
What Boeing did was introduce a software bodge to make their aircraft handle normally, hands off if you will, with engines fitted that were much larger than the aircraft was designed for. It was a cock up on their part. Apart from this the capability for a modern aircraft to fly on autopliot even auto land, has been extremely safe and reliable for years. If a common "interface" for autonomous vehicles were introduced so they can communicate with both other vehicles and the road they are driving on, crashes would be very rare indeed, although also very boring! Highways England is already embedding equipment into new roads so a degree of automation is already being planned, how far this goes, who knows!

They've been running for decades. Only on purpose built railway lines because it's much easier to design it in from the start. Efforts to reduce staff levels on non purpose built lines have been slower.

Welcome aboard this fully automatic flight from London To New York, There is no need for any pilot as the flight from take off to landing will be
controlled by a computer.

We know this may worry some of you but you can rest assured that nothing can go wrong.

Enjoy the fli CLICK the fli CLICK the fli Click...........

Don't think I'd fancy being in a level 5 autonomous vehicle on an unlit, dark country lane with no kerbs or road markings.

Switch the drive module into manual mode - Drive, Navigate, Communicate. - Then get on with it - If the batteries have any juice of course...
-0-

Switch the drive module into manual mode - Drive, Navigate, Communicate. - Then get on with it - If the batteries have any juice of course...
-0-

Level 5 autonomous cars don't have driver controls :(

No driver controls ? Nobody on whom to blame in the event of collision ? Can't see beyond Level 4 max.
I say get the driver aids really working well - convince drivers that the aids do the business, then go forward from there - walk before running.
-0-

Sponsored Links
Back