What have you been doing today?

Had a blow out at 70mph on the offside front whilst driving down the M5.
Not the nicest of experiences but thankfully it was just after dawn so the motorway was fairly empty. Managed to pull over onto the hard shoulder and half on the grass. When I got out it was ripped from the 3 o'clock point right down and around to the 9 o'clock point. Thankfully I had a good spare to put on. I knew something was wrong because beforehand I started feeling vibrations in the steering. I was planning to get to a turn off to get out and have a look.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and today I have been removing 3 lavender bushes and re-locating them the other side of the fence in the meadow.
Had to go to my stepdaughters to collect my wheelbarrow and garden fork her hubby had borrowed a few weeks ago. Since borrowing them he has built a new garden shed so daughter says "Help yourself, they will be in his shed somewhere." I goes in his shed and there, neatly hung on brackets which he had installed, were my fork and barrow! Think he must have got it into his head that because I hadn't asked for them back within 7 days they become his! AND one of the tines was bent! Luckily his neighbour a few doors away was tinkering in his garage so as I passed I asked if he would mind me using his vice to straighten it. Nice chap operated the vice while I straightened the tine and wouldn't take anything for letting me use his vice.

After much swearing and sweating (first - born's first attempt at driving on his own, ended before it began due to his car being dead), ended up with it blocking the only driveway in the road where someone wanted access......

Jump starting no good.

Despite being an avid watcher of Wheeler Dealers, a car mechanic I am not.
That so, my brain did tell me that, if the lights on the dash come on, it probably isn't a fuse. But if the car then makes no noise at all when you turn the key, it is probably a battery with enough juice to light the lights, but nowhere near enough to turn it over.

New battery, a bit of wrestling, and I'm the new Edd China :mrgreen:

After much swearing and sweating (first - born's first attempt at driving on his own, ended before it began due to his car being dead), ended up with it blocking the only driveway in the road where someone wanted access......

Jump starting no good.

Despite being an avid watcher of Wheeler Dealers, a car mechanic I am not.
That so, my brain did tell me that, if the lights on the dash come on, it probably isn't a fuse. But if the car then makes no noise at all when you turn the key, it is probably a battery with enough juice to light the lights, but nowhere near enough to turn it over.

New battery, a bit of wrestling, and I'm the new Edd China :mrgreen:

Mines dead again... sigh. loads of warnings, double sigh.

Sponsored Links
I have endured that pain, sadly the nob wrote it off after 18 months, so God only knows what his insurance would be now.
You do make me laugh the way you talk about your children :). At least they'll always be grounded!

Had a blow out at 70mph on the offside front whilst driving down the M5.
Not the nicest of experiences but thankfully it was just after dawn so the motorway was fairly empty. Managed to pull over onto the hard shoulder and half on the grass. When I got out it was ripped from the 3 o'clock point right down and around to the 9 o'clock point. Thankfully I had a good spare to put on. I knew something was wrong because beforehand I started feeling vibrations in the steering. I was planning to get to a turn off to get out and have a look.
Glad you're ok! Scary stuff that.

Walked the dog in the rain this morning and got soaked. Made lunch, went out and bought the parts for a job I’ve got to do. It’s 'meat free Monday' in our house today so I made the tea. Fried up some onions, garlic, red pepper, broccoli and mushrooms. Boiled up a pan of Penne pasta, mixed the two together and added a jar of red pesto. Job done with enough left over to snack on tomorrow. :)

I’d noticed that my electric shaver didn’t seem to be as good as when I bought it last December and it was showing some kind of warning light on it. I do wash it out regularly as per the onboard instructions. Anyway, I dug the box out of the loft this morning to look at the instructions and blow me, there’s a special 'cleaning' station in there plus a sealed cartridge of fluid. I’ve assembled them, placed it in there and I can hear pumps running and the shaver starting and stopping with all sorts of flashing lights as it goes through a clean cycle. That’s just stopped and I can now hear a fan running inside so presumably a fan is drying it all. Pictures so far - will be interesting to see the finished result.
D79F82B5-79B0-42DD-B859-1D1F3EBDEA7A.jpeg
16C8F867-B482-4544-9B67-B42F7E074AFD.jpeg

Edit: Shaver head came out nice and sparkly clean but I’ll know if it’s any better when I use it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Went to Asda today. First time been in shop since mask rule came in. Have to say I was very impressed. Over 98% of customers wearing masks. Felt a lot safer walking amongst others (still distancing) knowing that we were keeping our germs, etc to each other. Glad that I wasn't in the minority any more wandering around with mask feeling like a freak. Another benefit is that they have abolished the alternate one way aisles now everyone has masks. Speeds things up a lot and one less thing to think about. Risking the ire of others breaking the one way signs. Only saw a handful of unmasked, selfish, dumb chavs who think they are above helping to prevent the spread of a potentially fatal disease.

Suppose Asda customers are ideal candidates for face coverings anyway. Should have been wearing them for years. All of the beautiful people go to Waitrose. :ROFLMAO:

Yes we ventured into ASDA today to pick up some more Cotswold stones for the garden so did a little shopping with the granddaughter.
Before we walked in there was a member of staff asking people if they needed a mask but everyone had them on. Ony people without masks were the staff but they all had visors and gloves on.

I’d noticed that my electric shaver didn’t seem to be as good as when I bought it last December and it was showing some kind of warning light on it. I do wash it out regularly as per the onboard instructions. Anyway, I dug the box out of the loft this morning to look at the instructions and blow me, there’s a special 'cleaning' station in there plus a sealed cartridge of fluid. I’ve assembled them, placed it in there and I can hear pumps running and the shaver starting and stopping with all sorts of flashing lights as it goes through a clean cycle. That’s just stopped and I can now hear a fan running inside so presumably a fan is drying it all. Pictures so far - will be interesting to see the finished result.
View attachment 200228 View attachment 200229

Edit: Shaver head came out nice and sparkly clean but I’ll know if it’s any better when I use it tomorrow.

I've got an S3 (3040s) and clean it the old fashioned way. Strip it down on a sheet of paper, brush all the accessible bit, tap the head on the table and then finish with a few good puffs of breath. Had it for about 3 years now and still gives a good shave each day. one day a week I have a wet shave just for a change.

I've got an S3 (3040s) and clean it the old fashioned way. Strip it down on a sheet of paper, brush all the accessible bit, tap the head on the table and then finish with a few good puffs of breath. Had it for about 3 years now and still gives a good shave each day. one day a week I have a wet shave just for a change.
Unfortunately mine is a sealed cartridge. About £45. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back