What have you been doing today?

Today I have filled out an application form for a full time job. As much as I like working part time my wifes business has taken a massive set back due to Covid so I am now trying to return full time and help with the finances.
Just when everything was ticking along nicely and we were both happy with our life some thing comes and kicks you in the ankle. Ah well, it is what it is and there are others far worse off then we are.

Sponsored Links
Today I have filled out an application form for a full time job. As much as I like working part time my wifes business has taken a massive set back due to Covid so I am now trying to return full time and help with the finances.
Just when everything was ticking along nicely and we were both happy with our life some thing comes and kicks you in the ankle. Ah well, it is what it is and there are others far worse off then we are.

Nightmare, I think I'll have to get off my arse soon and start bringing the pennies back in too. Still no uk govt bank coffers were harmed in my time off.

Good luck Conny, I hope it goes well for you.

Was watching bugger off to the countryside, or whatever it's called. Couple wanted to move from North Marston (bucks) to somewhere a bit more rural. I thought to myself, bloody hell you can't get much more rural than North Marston, it's in the middle of nowhere. Their preferred destination? Exmoor. Ok you got me, that's more rural. Still as is always the case, they didn't choose any of the houses and decided to go on honeymoon, this is what turned my thoughts to getting a job.

Oh and I vacced the lounge....

and brought the bin in.....

and put the recycling out....

and watched telly, 'bout it really.

oh, made the bed, err had lunch (leftover pizza)

Probably went to the bog a few times, but that's TMI, right?

Sponsored Links
Fingers crossed Conny.

Proper work is a bit slow at the mo (waiting for information/parts) so I have been PAT testing most of the week.

Yesterday I PAT failed a Rothenburger pipe threading machine (circa several £k) and ended up stripping it down to remove the motor so I can clean all the gunk out of the windings, took ages, plenty of electrolube but I eventually cleaned it all up inside (well, with the armature and shaft still stuck in the gearbox, the outer case & stator removed)
and eventually got passable readings.
If it fails again methinks it will be a strip down and rewind the motor time (well after trying new brushes).

Today has been more of the same, tomorrow Ill be repairing a welder.

Fingers crossed Conny.

Proper work is a bit slow at the mo (waiting for information/parts) so I have been PAT testing most of the week.

Yesterday I PAT failed a Rothenburger pipe threading machine (circa several £k) and ended up stripping it down to remove the motor so I can clean all the gunk out of the windings, took ages, plenty of electrolube but I eventually cleaned it all up inside (well, with the armature and shaft still stuck in the gearbox, the outer case & stator removed)
and eventually got passable readings.
If it fails again methinks it will be a strip down and rewind the motor time (well after trying new brushes).

Today has been more of the same, tomorrow Ill be repairing a welder.

I'm trying to find the job market, seems to have gone missing, oh well hey ho.

Still laying my flooring. Getting there slowly, no rush. Did the awkward bits with lots of cuts on one side. It was a case of measure ten times, cut once! Got off to a good start, so good that I forgot to put my knee pads on and I’m paying for it now. :confused:

7906D640-81FF-47F3-A218-B5A8D6651613.jpeg

Last edited:
Oops I was asking EddieM, should have done a quote, nice job though I would never take that on

Oops I was asking EddieM, should have done a quote, nice job though I would never take that on

My field? Getting paid lots for doing as little as possible. Jobs are thin on the ground. IT. I won't bore you with what I specifically do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still laying my flooring. Getting there slowly, no rush. Did the awkward bits with lots of cuts on one side. It was a case of measure ten times, cut once! Got off to a good start, so good that I forgot to put my knee pads on and I’m paying for it now.

Looking good. Couple of questions, how much per metre did you pay and is it one of those with the built in underlay. We were looking at oak but the howdens ones were very bland and repetitive in the grain, so we went with a grey, yours does look very nice though.

Couple of questions, how much per metre did you pay and is it one of those with the built in underlay.
I’m fitting Moduleo LayRed (Midland Oak) and yes, it comes with its own built in underlay. It’s a vinyl laminate, a bit pricey at £39.99 a metre but I shopped around and got it for just under £32 a metre.

I’m fitting Moduleo LayRed (Midland Oak) and yes, it comes with its own built in underlay. It’s a vinyl laminate, a bit pricey at £39.99 a metre but I shopped around and got it for just under £32 a metre.

That's a good price, the 'quick step livyn' from Howdens was on offer at £25 per metre, underlay was £40 for 10m I think, the equivalent with integral underlay was over £40 a sq mtr, I'll certainly take a look at moduleo next time, cheers for that.

My field? Getting paid lots for doing as little as possible. Jobs are thin on the ground. IT. I won't bore you with what I specifically do.
I play tennis with a couple of IT bods who contract at BAE in Barrow, they work four days and have along weekend at home, BAE are recruiting heavily at the moment although it can take a few months to clear security

Sponsored Links
Back