What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Took the A3 up to my workshop today. Replaced the air and pollen filters that should have been replaced by Audi in its last couple of services, changed the brake fluid, fitted the dash cam that I took out of the Evoque into it and gave it a good clean and a wax. Drives like a dream and I’ve finally cracked how to select radio stations, programme routes into the sat nav, play music from my iPhone and make phone calls. You just press a button on the steering wheel and tell it what to do. It then does it! Amazing.

Are you saying the main dealers are crooks?
Possibly. Maybe they didn’t charge for them either but as far as I could tell, that pollen filter had never been changed from new judging by the crap trapped in it. The blast from the air vents is noticeably stronger now.when I bought our Evoque it came with two years free servicing. They never did those properly either.

Sponsored Links
I too have suffered this.

Its one thing to not change a part and knock it off the bill, but to charge for a part not fitted is criminal.

Possibly. Maybe they didn’t charge for them either but as far as I could tell, that pollen filter had never been changed from new judging by the crap trapped in it. The blast from the air vents is noticeably stronger now.when I bought our Evoque it came with two years free servicing. They never did those properly either.

So why did you not pull them up on that?

I have just had my COVID jab.
:eek:

The reason for the :eek: is that some years ago I had a routine injection in hospital and suffered severe Anaphylaxis.
My BP plummeted and my heart stopped and the crash team had to come and crank the starting handle (not a euphemism!).
So when I arranged this I was told that the Oxford jab was best, as there was less chance of Anaphylaxis and I also had to wait 30 minutes after to make sure I was OK. They had a team of Drs in the building in case I did turn green and keel over, but everything seems OK. I did briefly feel dizzy, but that could be a pre-existing condition.

The only thing is the nurse told me there is more chance of side-effects with the Oxford.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
So why did you not pull them up on that?
Wasn’t worth the aggro of taking it all the way back to Southend. Silly things (for me, anyway) like checking the brakes through the wheels instead of taking them off - I knew they hadn’t removed them because with alloys, the service sheet said something like "remove road wheels, clean mating service, lubricate with anti-seize grease and refit”. That clearly hadn’t been done. In any case, any service I’ve ever had on any of our cars at a main dealer has (a) been free and (b) just to comply with the warranty terms. Oh, and when you have a Range Rover serviced, they loan you a new model to try to tempt you to trade up! Whenever I’ve worked in main dealers, servicing was normally farmed out to the apprentices or semi-skilled technicians and I suspect that hasn’t changed. We once bought a new Fiesta Zetec and it was delivered to our house on trade plates as it was the day before it could be used on the road. When I drove it, it was all over the place, like driving on ice. I checked the tyre pressures and I kid you not, they were all around the 60-70psi mark. Great PDI!

Last edited:
I have just had my COVID jab.
:eek:

The reason for the :eek: is that some years ago I had a routine injection in hospital and suffered severe Anaphylaxis.
My BP plummeted and my heart stopped and the crash team had to come and crank the starting handle (not a euphemism!).
So when I arranged this I was told that the Oxford jab was best, as there was less chance of Anaphylaxis and I also had to wait 30 minutes after to make sure I was OK. They had a team of Drs in the building in case I did turn green and keel over, but everything seems OK. I did briefly feel dizzy, but that could be a pre-existing condition.

The only thing is the nurse told me there is more chance of side-effects with the Oxford.
My wife had hers about a month or so ago. No major effects but I do find that now it is a lot easier to track her on find my iPhone.

Wasn’t worth the aggro of taking it all the way back to Southend. Silly things (for me, anyway) like checking the brakes through the wheels instead of taking them off - I knew they hadn’t removed them because with alloys, the service sheet said something like "remove road wheels, clean mating service, lubricate with anti-seize grease and refit”. That clearly hadn’t been done. In any case, any service I’ve ever had on any of our cars at a main dealer has (a) been free and (b) just to comply with the warranty terms. Oh, and when you have a Range Rover serviced, they loan you a new model to try to tempt you to trade up! Whenever I’ve worked in main dealers, servicing was normally farmed out to the apprentices or semi-skilled technicians and I suspect that hasn’t changed. We once bought a new Fiesta Zetec and it was delivered to our house on trade plates as it was the day before it could be used on the road. When I drove it, it was all over the place, like driving on ice. I checked the tyre pressures and I kid you not, they were all around the 60-70psi mark. Great PDI!

We bought a Focus a long while back, multiple service stamps. Wife had a puncture and I went to swap wheels at side of the road. The alloys had never been off, was a nightmare to get the wheel off the hub.

Lesson learned, if you want anything doing properly, do it yourself..

They are old and new front sprockets, needless to say the chain and rear sprocket weren't the best either!. Amazed it didn't slip under power.
If you were travelling at high speed could that sprocket in that condition have consequences that could cause a crash or would you suddenly find you had no acceleration as the chain started to slip?

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the A3 up to my workshop today. Replaced the air and pollen filters that should have been replaced by Audi in its last couple of services, changed the brake fluid, fitted the dash cam that I took out of the Evoque into it and gave it a good clean and a wax. Drives like a dream and I’ve finally cracked how to select radio stations, programme routes into the sat nav, play music from my iPhone and make phone calls. You just press a button on the steering wheel and tell it what to do. It then does it! Amazing.
I loved the old style radios with a knob that you turned and a little needle moved back on forth to select the station and there was a button that said "on" and "off"

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know what it was at first but then realized and even I could see that's a super amount of wear. If you were travelling at high speed could that sprocket in that condition have consequences that could cause a crash or would you suddenly find you had no acceleration as the chain started to slip?

Best case would be limited acceleration, worst case it could throw the chain off which would be pretty bad at speed.

It's an MOT failure as well and to be fair the customer hadn't long bought it (not from us mind!).

Sponsored Links
Back