What have you been doing today?

Went for a street walk with the dog just now. Walked to Upminster and took my dog around our local dog-friendly department store. She didn't see anything she fancied in the sale so we walked back past the newly restored windmill. Also, I saw a rose in full bloom. In January!

88AD2CB6-728B-4AF5-B9FA-FD109E9C6B01.jpeg 81CC0BCF-6B82-45A8-A202-8F27F8453378.jpeg E717B381-50D9-46DA-8570-2DBEBDB536A5.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Weather has been doing strange things to the flowers!

Can't remember where I was the other day. Out walking in a T shirt: 16°....

Sponsored Links
I know but, she’s always taken it to the dealer until now.
1. The dealer wanted 60€ to diagnose it. They have to drive it around blah blah blah.
2. They quoted nearly 2,000 to change clutch.
3. They couldn’t even look at it for nearly two weeks.

We took it to another place, the guys seemed to be confident and competent enough and said that if we leave the car, they could get into it first thing in the morning.
Anyway, here’s the bill.
2A7E3134-F06E-4CD4-881E-EFC64C28189C.jpeg
It’s a lot less than the dealer and they also fitted a new drive shaft boot (cubrepolvo/dust cover) and a set of rear pads that I had in the boot with the intention of fitting.
Mano de obra is labour at 38€/hr.
214,000Km on the clock.

1. The dealer wanted 60€ to diagnose it. They have to drive it around blah blah blah.

We took it to another place, the guys seemed to be confident and competent enough and said that if we leave the car, they could get into it first thing in the morning.
Anyway, here’s the bill.
View attachment 256290
It’s a lot less than the dealer and they also fitted a new drive shaft boot (cubrepolvo/dust cover) and a set of rear pads that I had in the boot with the intention of fitting.
214,000Km on the clock.
That's pretty reasonable for all that. Refreshing to see an honest bill here. Imagine that was a builder it' most probably be about 5grand for the job dragged out over 4 weeks :D

Blimey, the labour is cheap as chips! I think my clutch kit at £250 was a bargain though - I might get them to fit mine for me........:)

Anyway, here’s the bill.
View attachment 256290
214,000Km on the clock.

Sounds like a reasonable price. Labour on you bill seems low and the clutch price seems high. Paid £1000 for complete clutch fitting, inc. DMF, clutch guide tube and main crank oil seal (behind flywheel) on my old Fiat Scudo van. But it's UK labour rates and they anything on vans always seems to cost more.

Sounds like a reasonable price. Labour on you bill seems low and the clutch price seems high. Paid £1000 for complete clutch fitting, inc. DMF, clutch guide tube and main crank oil seal (behind flywheel) on my old Fiat Scudo van. But it's UK labour rates and they anything on vans always seems to cost more.
I agree, like Mottie I could have bought the same clutch for £250 but, I don’t have the wherewithal do do the job here.
As it was in the garage, we asked them to change the timing belt. As with the clutch, the labour was fair, but they didn’t miss us with the price of the parts, I’ll post a picture of that in a minute.

Here is the bill for the timing belt job.
As you can see, they know how to charge for parts. 234€ for an £80 (90€ ish) timing belt kit.
But overall the price wasn’t too bad so we’re happy enough.
EF4A4F7C-5D2C-4F28-A8D6-1E155CF6419F.jpeg

Here is the bill for the timing belt job.
As you can see, they know how to charge for parts. 234€ for an £80 (90€ ish) timing belt kit.
But overall the price wasn’t too bad so we’re happy enough.
View attachment 256344

That's another job I had done last year. Everything seemed to come at the same time. Do the smaller jobs myself (oil, filters, changing gear link cables, etc), but get the garage to do the complex/heavy stuff. I tell my self those jobs are out the way now for a few more years........................

..............just those little unexpected ones to come. :(

Sponsored Links
Back