What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Went to an orange shed (and StoolTation) and bought an aluminium threshold strip where the kitchen laminate meets the hall carpet. At the moment it's a lethal trip hazard for a clumsy b'stard like me. We also got some Creosotey type stuff for the shed.

It looks like something Mottie could mix up in his 'shop.
IMG_20230603_182227_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230603_174628_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230603_174639_HDR.jpg

Will post some "after"pictures later...

Sorry what's your point? That's 4.65% for 2 years. There are several over 4%, up to :
1685811827449.png

In case you can't read the text, that's with a Bank in Bahrain, regitered in London. Theoretically it's fscs covered.
That's £100 more than Virgin/UBL etc on 1 year for 20k.

UBL Bank vs Virgin:
Longer , ie 180 days loss of interest on early withdrawal vs 90, which for 20k would be £233 more.
Virgin is 0.008% less, which costs you £16 pa. Hence I'd go Virgin.

Same for a couple of others. CLose Bros etc.

WHile I'mhere, if you transfer a current account to Natwest or Lloyds, they give you 200 or so. SO open a new account at one, then transfer it to the other, then later transfer it back, Kerching, + £350 or so for 2 x an hour on the phone.. You may need a couple of direct debits so do 2 of £2 each to a dogs home and a horses charity. Cost for that is £2.

Also, there are accounts at several banks which give you a lot of interest for regular payments-in, like 7%, 6% and now iirc 9%..
Check your bank where you keep your current account, to see if it has one. It'll only be a few £k, but once set up is no bother. Mine at First Direct took 30 seconds to set up and will yield £126. A decent hourly rate.

I'll repeat, if you find yourself with £100k you don't know where to put, First Direct will give you 4.6%. Closing it any time, will cost you only 8 days' interest.

Went to an orange shed (and StoolTation) and bought an aluminium threshold strip where the kitchen laminate meets the hall carpet. At the moment it's a lethal trip hazard for a clumsy b'stard like me. We also got some Creosotey type stuff for the shed.

It looks like something Mottie could mix up in his 'shop.View attachment 305107

View attachment 305108

View attachment 305109

Will post some "after"pictures later...
You can always check things like chemicals by looking at their COSHH data. For this,

makes it look you paid £3.75 a litre for diesel fuel.

Sponsored Links
Sorry what's your point? That's 4.65% for 2 years. There are several over 4%, up to :
Don’t know what you were looking at - 4.52% for one year. Didn't you say if you can get over 4% on an isa, go for it?

IMG_5022.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got around to sorting my temporary antenna in the loft, since the winter - to it's permanent position on the chimney, with the help of my regular roofing guy. I had already asked a few antenna installers, if they would fit >my< antenna, and just plug it in, in the loft socket - no takers, and I didn't want a cheap contract antenna fitted.

It went a bit wrong, I said it needed to be tilted up about 5 degrees [1]. it ended up - pointing up around 30 degrees. I just could see the antenna, via the Velux, he was between me and the antenna and I only spotted it after he had dropped his ladders down. Not a problem, he is coming back later in the week, to swap out a few disintegrating tiles and can readjust it then. Meanwhile, all channels perfect, despite the strange angle.

[1] A recommendation of the experts, of this particular antenna.

You can always check things like chemicals by looking at their COSHH data. For this,

makes it look you paid £3.75 a litre for diesel fuel.

Yeah. I knew it was basically oil and derv mixed up. But it has some colour to it and it's recycling.

Just like I used to do in the 80s-- mix used engine oil with the creosote!

Anyway, I've done the threshold strip. Looks much neater than the old one and it won't keep trying to trip me up all the blinking time!

IMG_20230603_185932_HDR.jpg

"Please be aware that Al Rayan Bank, QIB UK and Gatehouse Bank savings accounts offer expected profit rather than interest as they follow Shari'a principles".

"Expected profit?" No thanks.

Last edited:
Weshed the car.
Waxed the car (alright, just some Demon something-or-another spray on stuff).

One rear wheel had the mother lode of baked-on brake dust on it. Has resisted cleaning for ages.
Had an hour, so:
- once with soapy water. No change.
- once with Demon something-or-another wheel cleaner. No change either.

Four passes with Autoglym Magma (and the scratchy side of an old shower buffer sponge) finally got most of it off.

Then went off, and did another 2.5k openwater swim.

Don’t know what you were looking at - 4.52% for one year. Didn't you say if you can get over 4% on an isa, go for it?

View attachment 305115
What did you think I was looking at - their account!
Yes it's a different rate depending on period. I'd go for 2 years but YMMV.
I didn't know why you posted a link to one account... I was just pointing out there were others
Anything Over 4% is better than an easy access so is Ok, but obvs they all have different Ts and Cs - access, notice, phone/app etc. And how much you worry about the last 0.1 percent... ?
Islam doesn't allow something about interest so they call it profit it works . Have a search for whomsoever you trust, but here's one explanation.

Dealing with a secure but easy access bank is important to me. Some make the procedures shorter with voice recognition. Some banks spend an hour trying to prove you aren't who you say you are.

An early morning dog walk from the door this morning. Had a quick bacon roll at Greggs, let Susie have a run on the green by the windmill.

IMG_0945.jpeg

Had a browse in the free library at the top of the road, didn’t see anything I fancied though.

IMG_0944.jpeg

Right, off out now to see our grandson in a gymnastic display. :eek:

Weshed the car.
Waxed the car (alright, just some Demon something-or-another spray on stuff).

One rear wheel had the mother lode of baked-on brake dust on it. Has resisted cleaning for ages.
Had an hour, so:
- once with soapy water. No change.
- once with Demon something-or-another wheel cleaner. No change either.

Four passes with Autoglym Magma (and the scratchy side of an old shower buffer sponge) finally got most of it off.

Then went off, and did another 2.5k openwater swim.

If you get EBC Redstuff pads next time you will be astonished that you wheels stay clean apart from a bit of road dust.

I clean mine with the bucket of car shampoo and a soft nylon bristle hand brush.

There are some old black deposits in the corners from the previous pads.

Edit

Here

20230604_164706.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back