What have you been doing today?

Taking down the last of our Swarovski Crystal, gold plated chandeliers that we have had up in this house since 1990 and in our previous house since 1984 and replacing them with modern tat under the orders of Mrs Mottie. A step backwards in my mind. :mad:

From this:

IMG_5724.jpeg

To this:

IMG_5729.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Did away with ceiling light in lounge many years ago, got 5 amp sockets dotted around the room with a mix of standard lamps and table lamps, very flexible and classy ;)

TBF as Brig said, both lights are nice in their own right, the modern one just looks wrong with the rose moulding.
The chandeliers were the finishing touch in our through lounge in our first house and I remember paying £125 each for them in 1985 - a fair old whack back in the day and Mrs Mottie had to sit in the back of my van holding them all the way home from Roman road in Bow. The modern tat was £90.

I had a day of just missed trains today. Working over the Olympic Park, I missed the C2C train at Upminster by 10 seconds because of the snail working behind the counter at Greggs was a bit slow serving my coffee. Then I was so engrossed reading an email on my phone that I forgot to get off at West Ham so had to go on to Limehouse and come back. As we pulled in to Limehouse, the train back to West Ham was already at the opposite platform so I missed that and had to wait for the next one. Got to West Ham and again, just missed the DLR to Stratford International. Mind you, my clock starts from when I leave my house till when I get home so at least I got paid whilst travelling!

The chandeliers were the finishing touch in our through lounge in our first house and I remember paying £125 each for them in 1985 - a fair old whack back in the day and Mrs Mottie had to sit in the back of my van holding them all the way home from Roman road in Bow. The modern tat was £90.

If it were me, I'd have the ceiling rose dropped, skim the lot, and go for lamps around the room instead.

If you must have a central ceiling light, have the rose knocked off, the lot skimmed flat, and have your new lights installed.

My two 'penneth, anyway (y)

If it were me, I'd have the ceiling rose dropped, skim the lot, and go for lamps around the room instead.

If you must have a central ceiling light, have the rose knocked off, the lot skimmed flat, and have your new lights installed.

Thanks, but sod going to that aggro and expense to match a cheap light fitting!

You do have to judge by the price point.

Which is a better quality product?

A 1959 Mini or a 1959 Rolls?

If my plate of food is cheap, I don't expect it to be as plentiful, quick to arrive, tasty or served in similar surroundings as a more expensive meal.

I am installing more 5amp sockets as part of a major refurb at home, just looked on SF and they do switched versions, never seen them before

Flew from Bristol to CDG Paris. One of those rapide Froggy blunt-nosed trains down to Bergerac via Bordeaux. In the boozer now drinking rubbish fizzy lager, may switch to Ricard. Get the hire car tomorrow and hit the road. Didn't linger long in Paris. Bit like London - play spot the local.

Sponsored Links
Back