What have you bought today?

Sponsored Links
Is it just me????

I can tell the difference between the only 5 whisky's we need to worry ourselve's with. I can tell you not only its age but also probably the name of the master distiller & what brand of Sherry utilised the cask first.

How can 1 brand of butter command a premium when butter is butter & I can't tell the difference so long as its butter???

How can 1 brand of butter command a premium when butter is butter & I can't tell the difference so long as its butter???

Lurpak is actually different. Almost all butter sold in the UK is made with fresh cream and is called sweet cream butter. Lurpak is a lactic/cultured butter. This type is popular on the continent. The cream is cultured first with live bacteria, like how you make yogurt, before being churned into butter. My grandma never liked it, she said it tasted of cheese (although she didn't actually know why it tasted different).

Lurpak is actually different.
OK. I can accept that Lurpak is different.

Is Lurpak a class A drug? Are all the folk moaning about the current price of Lurpak physically or mentally addicted to it?

Does it REALLY taste that much better than butter to make its price a problem?

Sponsored Links
Does it REALLY taste that much better than butter to make its price a problem?

I don't think it tastes better, although it definitely tastes different. I'm talking about block butter here, not spreadable. When the price of Lurpak first shot up in the mid 2000s, we switched from Lurpak to Aldi butter and after a few days we liked it just as much. We've stayed with Aldi ever since.

I don't eat spreadable, but with Lurpak spreadable a lot of reviews say that the Aldi knock off tastes just the same and is less than half the price. Last time I checked, the ingredients were identical. I think with spreadable, the difference is smaller anyway, because it's only two thirds actual butter, the rest is oil and water.

Last edited:
I don't think it tastes better, although it definitely tastes different. I'm talking about block butter here, not spreadable. When the price of Lurpak first shot up in mid 2000s, we switched from Lurpak to Aldi butter and after a few days we liked it just as much.

I don't eat spreadable, but with Lurpak spreadable a lot of reviews say that the Aldi knock off tastes just the same and is less than half the price. Last time I checked, the ingredients were identical. I think with spreadable, the difference is smaller anyway, because it's only two thirds actual butter, the rest is oil and water.
The only spreadable I have ever been able to eat is "Utterly Butterly" & even that is a last resort. Mrs Lard seems to think that anything with a similar title, in packaging of a similar shape / colour will be acceptable to me. It isn't, I get violent headaches if it isn't the real stuff. Why do all these similar items feel the need to mimick my Utterly Butterly ?

Butter is butter, & it shouldn't cost all that much at all. Here I am in the midst of a farming community saying butter should be cheap !.

The price of Lurpak has gone mad; the 450g size is now £4.99 in most places, although Sainsbury's had it last week at £3.75. Pre-furloughs it was under £2. (I have Lurpak in winter and proper butter the rest of the year).

Eccles cakes, the ones made in Ardwick, are now £2.29, that's almost double pre-furloughs. And the actual cakes have shrunk in size.

I never had any furloughs but I'm having to pay for other peoples.

Butter is butter, & it shouldn't cost all that much at all. Here I am in the midst of a farming community saying butter should be cheap !.

The farmgate price of milk has doubled, and they say labour is more expensive, but beyond that I don't know.

1675888984903.png

Eccles cakes, the ones made in Ardwick, are now £2.29, that's almost double pre-furloughs. And the actual cakes have shrunk in size.

Blimey. I used to love them and thought of them as cheap. Has the price of currants gone up? The wholesale price of all vine fruit went up a lot two years ago but I don't know what's happened since.

4 little used Ikea Markus chairs.

£179 in store, £20 each of Facebook marketplace.

Some, like Lurpak spreadable, don't contain water.

I actually think even the full fat Lurpak spreadable has a little bit of water.

Butter (64%) (Milk), Rapeseed Oil, Water, Lactic Culture (Milk), Salt

Then the Lighter one has more water.

Butter (40% (Milk), Water, Rapeseed Oil, Lactic Culture (Milk), Salt

In the Lightest version (discontinued) water was the main ingredient. I imagine it led to very soggy toast if spread hot.

Water, Butter (26%) (Milk), Rapeseed Oil, Lactic Culture (Milk), Milk Protein, Salt

Sponsored Links
Back