What is Logic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see it's been discussed before.
Here's a link to previous discussions, I haven't read them nor validated they qualify:

My take is pretty much summed up (and why reinvent the wheel) by:
Traditionally, logic is often understood as the discipline investigating laws of thought. One problem for this characterization is that logic is not an empirical discipline studying the regularities found in actual human thinking: this subject belongs to psychology. This is better captured by another characterization sometimes found in the literature: that logic concerns the laws of correct thinking or, more specifically, correct reasoning. This reflects the practical significance of logic as a tool to improve one's reasoning by drawing good inferences and becoming aware of possible mistakes. Logic has also been defined as the science of valid argumentation. This mirrors the definition in terms of reasoning since argumentation may be understood as an outward expression of inward reasoning.

Logic is often seen as a formal foundation of all knowledge

And having read the first link I'm pretty much gobsmacked by the sexist nature of the comments, even for this site, and it was only 17 years ago.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Without being sexist, I do think there is a difference in ways of thinking and communicating between me and my Missus.

One example I can quote is how she phrases things..

She will say something to me like, "There's a carrier bag on the kitchen floor."

And I wonder why she has mentioned it to me.

It transpires what she is really trying to say is,

"Can you pick up that carrier bag and put it away please?"

And I have been struggling with this for 24 years!

Without being sexist, I do think there is a difference in ways of thinking and communicating between me and my Missus.

One example I can quote is how she phrases things..

She will say something to me like, "There's a carrier bag on the kitchen floor."

And I wonder why she has mentioned it to me.

It transpires what she is really trying to say is,

"Can you pick up that carrier bag and put it away please?"

And I have been struggling with this for 24 years!
Well that's logical. If there is a carrier bag on the floor, it's an axiom, a fundamentally accepted truth. ;)
It's what logic is based on, in my opinion.

When your kids have come in and thrown their coats down, have you never said, "hang your coats up on the floor", or after they've discarded their shoes, you said, there's a place for those"?

Sponsored Links
Back