What is the best way to heat an individual room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a what I think is called a multi zone heating system in my home, one for the main bedroom, and one for the remainder of the house, each with a wired in Honeywell thermostat. I've recently had a little one and will be looking to heat their bedroom at night while the rest of that system is off. What would be the best way to do this, as in what can I do to save money by not having to heat the whole house?

So far I have had a look at smart radiator valves which doesn't seem to be the answer, and a wireless thermostat that I could place in the room (and close all the other radiator valves in the house). But, could I replace a wired in multi zone system with a wireless thermostat?

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming you have normal wet central heating, gas boiler?

Smart rad valves can be the answer but that depends on your boiler. If you have a modern boiler that can modulate down to a low enough burn rate that only heating 1 rad doesn't cause endless (inefficient) cycling then you can.

The easiest way to do it would be to stick the nipper in the main bedroom. System already zoned, off you go.

If that's not an option you either need to replumb nippers room as a standalone zone (load of 15mm, motorised valve, some wiring) or fit wireless TRVs in every room except the main bedroom and install the appropriate single zone hub as well as your existing controller. It'll be easier if you put a wireless trv in the main bedroom as well, use a multizone wireless hub and ditch existing controller.

Or plan C will be a free-standing oil-filled rad with built-in thermostat in nippers room. Prob not much in it on running costs (once you factor in low efficiency of modulated burn) and much cheaper installation :)

Sponsored Links
Unless you're planning a series or small mouths to feed then I'm with OldButNotDead's plan C.... the benefit of the upgrade will be lost after the first year when nipper gets proper body temperature regulation. In any case the 'preciousness' of offspring number 1 deteriorates rapidly with number 2, and if you ever get to number 3 you'll have realised that babies are quite tough and can easily survive a slightly chilly room.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother making special heating arrangements for babies bedroom different from the rest of the house. Clothing and bedding is the way to go. Always found ours slept better when the room was a bit cooler.

I hope you don't mean the baby? That's crossing the line....

I didn't even read the post mate.
Just the title.
Hence my irresistible comment!

Having now read the OPs body text, I would say to them, stop worrying about the wee' un. I've been to countless homes of new parents where the wireless roomstat has been located in the baby's nursery, buried under swathes of wipes, nappies, muslin cloths etc, window open for fresh air and the rest of the household sweating their dangly bits off!

Even members of my own famn damily!
Babies are more at risk of overheating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back