What mA would you expect a 30mA RCD to trip at ?

OK I give up.

How do you get the delta from character map into the post window ?
[/list][/url]

Sponsored Links
Click start, run then enter C:\WINDOWS\system32\charmap.exe
The character map box will appear.
By default my character map is set to Arial. Scroll down to the greek alphabet. Select the delta symbol and click select.
Now just paste the symbol into your post when posting i.e. ctrl+v

Personally, if I test an RCD and it trips at 16mA, I change it. It's too close to the knuckle for my liking. IME, I have not had a sound RCD trip at less than 19mA on a ramp.

BUT, it is very true that you have to test in isolation. Some testers (like my Alphatek) can take false readings when the RCD is tested via a socket outlet, esp. with other appliances in circuit.

If you cannot test in isolation, then the next best thing is to isolate all MCB ways fed via that RCD, then isolate all neutrals too. If the outgoimng neutral is flexible, disconnect from either the RCD or the 'bar. If the outgoing neutral is a solid link, then disconnect all neutral conductors from that RCD's 'bar. Then test the RCD direct from the outgoing terminals.

An RCD that fails when tested from a socket outlet may also indicate a fault with wiring or an appliance attached to that RCD.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, my experience too. I think I had a 29mA once, a brand new Wylex. But usually mid teens to mid twenties.

Or Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map.

If you're going to use it a lot, when you get to that point right-click it and drag it onto your Start Menu.

[disclaimer]The above applies to Win XP, and (from memory) Win 2K. Thankfully IHNFI about Vista.[/disclaimer]

I fit Wylex these days, owing to the mountain of wylex MCB's in my garage at the minute and the RCD's generally go at 28 or 29 mA, so pretty consistent. Leafing through my certs, trip times at 5I tend to wander from 7ms to 28ms. Never had a duff one on me (touch wood) but did find one on a periodic recently.

Great info guys.

Thanks alot.

This info gives me loads of experience in one big hit without any pain. So thianks to you guys I am learning fast.

I am going to do a PIR on this property on Thursday and considering I haven't had a callback yet I suspect the fridge is the problem. That said I am looking forward to a few hours alone to do a full PIR on the property.

Or Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map.

If you're going to use it a lot, when you get to that point right-click it and drag it onto your Start Menu.

[disclaimer]The above applies to Win XP, and (from memory) Win 2K. Thankfully IHNFI about Vista.[/disclaimer]

Instead of typing all the gumph above, Start > Run > charmap does the same job too.
Might drag a shortcut onto my desktop tho so I can be lazy.

Now can you see that it might take more than 3 hours to do a PIR?

Good luck with it!

SB

Actually Sparky I said 3-4 hours and I am still having difficulty seeing how a 3 bed semi typical family home will take 8 hours to do a PIR, assuming no problems as the orginal post stated.

That said, I will find out and if I am wrong then I will live and learn.

I am planning to do a few in the next couple of weeks to build up some experience so time will tell where the balance is.

I fit Wylex these days, owing to the mountain of wylex MCB's in my garage at the minute and the RCD's generally go at 28 or 29 mA, so pretty consistent. Leafing through my certs, trip times at 5I tend to wander from 7ms to 28ms. Never had a duff one on me (touch wood) but did find one on a periodic recently.

Their RCBO's are amazingly consistent. I can fit ten and they'll all be within half a minisec of each other at each test current point, occasionally you get one thats 5+ milli slower at x1 then it fails at x5.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back