What size Earth Bonding Cable should be used in the kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size Earth Bonding Cable should be used in the kitchen, from tap to tap on the pips and on to the stainless steel sink? And can it be connected to the nearest earth on a socket or should it go to the CU that’s about six metres away from the sink in the next room?

Sponsored Links
you dont need to bond the sink at all.

but if you want to 4mm is fine between pipes and sink
no need to go to cu

Sponsored Links
The reason I ask is because at the moment what looks like an old 6mm cooker supply cable from the CU . At the end of the cable near the kitchen sink under the floor broads is a choc block that is attached. To that is a 2,5mm cable that I have found to go up a pipe in the wall that ends up in the loft .The cable in the loft goes to a dead end at adjunction box and no where else. Going back to the choc block near the sink where the 2.5mm is connected there is also a bonding cable that’s attached to the block .The bonding cable goes from the block and than is connected to the sink pipes and not to the sink. . Has someone got any comments on this?

Welstead said:
Has someone got any comments on this?

Yes. It's an ignorant bodge-up.

Isolate (if possible remove) the redundant cable (all of it) and forget about the bonding.

TANNERS said:
no need to go to cu

You don't "want to", because it is no longer recognised by the regs.

Supplementary may be fitted in commercial kitchens if the designer deems it necessary, but in dom kits it has now been decided against.

One of the reasons is that it can create parallel earth paths & can actually make the installation more dangerous rather than safer.

Welstead, does your water main come into the house in the kitchen? Is your pipework in metal?
If metal pipework is used, wherever it enters it should have a main equipotential bond. There is some info in the wiki re main equipotential bonding.

I’m in a bungalow and the main water comes in the bathroom and has a stopcock there, and it has main bonding on the copper pipe just before the stopcock. The CU is just the other side of the wall in the hallway. The pipes in the kitchen are copper. Will I still need to bond them?

No you should not bond the pipes in your kitchen

I think Spark123 was just doulble checking that you didn't mis interpret the advice, and end up without a main bond to to your incomming water service.

securespark said:
TANNERS said:
no need to go to cu

You don't "want to", because it is no longer recognised by the regs.

Supplementary may be fitted in commercial kitchens if the designer deems it necessary, but in dom kits it has now been decided against.

One of the reasons is that it can create parallel earth paths & can actually make the installation more dangerous rather than safer.

by whom

As the regulation has been abolished, there is no reg number or page number.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back