What sort of discount should I ask for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right section but here goes.

I am about to build a house (for me) and I am going to do a lot of the work myself. I am about to open accounts with at least one of the local builders merchants (two local operations and one national - Buildbase). Given that I am going to be buying a large amount of gear off them (big house!) what sort of discount should I expect from them?

Should I expect the same discount off all areas, e.g. timber / plumbing / digger hire or will it vary by department?

Feel free to PM me if you would prefer not to go into print!

Thanks for your help.
AA

Sponsored Links
93 views and not one reply? Please don't be so shy.

For example, if I said that I wanted 20% off the list price of everything would I get laughed out of the place or would they bite my hand off?

Try it and see, You are going to be spending a lot of money at some wholesalers so they should want a crack at it.
Check out if there are any other suppliers local and see what they will offer then play one against the other for all your account.

Good luck with the house. Post some progress pics on here.
dave

Ring around for prices and haggle.Buildbase are generally cheapest at the moment in these parts but i still ring round to give me leverage.Im lazy so order all from one place with the best total price to save paperwork and minimize possible delivery probs.Also you may need something urgently and Buildbase may not have it in stock.
Remember to keep all receipts to claim your VAT back.

Sponsored Links
Contact Jewson sales tell them what your doing and mention you have approached TP to compare. ;)

dont mention what discount you want. do a list of materials and some idea of the quantities. speak to the branch manager or the rep as they normally do better deals and bigger discounts than the guys on the front counters. Give them the list and say you are getting quotes from others as well. Worth trying the smaller local merchants as some are part of larger buying groups and can give more competative quotes and better service.

There is a place by us that does underground drainage, cheapest in the UK, half the cost of merchants. Ill dig out the details.:cool:

As already mentioned you need a list of materials you need for your project,
you may find it hard to find a merchant that will be able to supply you with everything, it's likely they can source it for you from a third party.
So your discount may not be across the board.
But take the list with you, talk to someone who deals with sales accounts.
Wait for them to offer a discount and don't take straight away, usually a bit of room for more, do indeed get quotes from other suppliers so you are aware what you are hagling for.
Some products are so high marked up you can get 75 percent off.
Be aiming for around 25-40 percent.
Remember the trade will charge VAT on top, this will be claimable.

Sponsored Links
Back