What the hec is wrong with this forum? (Technical problem)

B

Big Tone

I don’t mean with DIYnot itself, (I think), but the way in which it’s the only forum I go onto with a problem whereby I click on a post and it goes crazy. It loads, (or wants to load), an infinite number of the same page, (windows by definiition), every half second or so unless I quickly use the stop button several times immediately after the first page has loaded.

This will make absolutely no sense to anyone if it doesn’t or hasn’t happened to you but what I can say is it only happens here; not on any other forum. If I don’t use the ‘stop’ button in time, immediately after the first page has loaded, I get window after window opening with that familiar click and I have to pull the plug in order to stop it.

Uh?
confused-smiley-013.gif

Sponsored Links
I did wonder if it’s my pc, or the omnipotent I.T, but as I say it’s only on this forum and I don’t understand why.

I can’t take a screen shot because, again as I say, I have to pull the plug. I could perhaps take a picture and post it up though.

I just knew this post would make me look like a fool... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Ah, I just saw something this time!

It’s actually loading loads of different web sites. (Apologies to DIYnot if I said something inappropriate :oops: ). So is it a spam doobrie internet setting thing?

I managed to see something unrelated in a loading box about sanyo.co.uk and facebook and then something else and then it went mad again. Are these sponsors here or is it some demon which declares open season on me when I click here?

It's very annoying. :mad:

You need a malware scan. Could it be some kind of pay-for-click drone thingy?

Your malware thing sounds plausible Joe and ‘my thingy’ is some weird lumbering entity Sue that only software developers know of and purport to understand. It’s a bit like religions; they think they know when in fact it’s all lies and I have yet to have proof my thingy exists.

I managed to get a pic I’ll post up later to prove my pants aren’t on fire. I’m a technical guy and used to be into these things long ago, but these days I hate computers and use them and The Net etc. just to get a job done. I don’t want to be my own I.T. guy, my own doctor, mechanic, solicitor, gynaecologist... I just want the right tool and be able to get on with the job. Viz: look at this forum, bank online, search for nobsRus, write an email to the pope. :D

I tell ya, it’s like pulling teeth sometimes...

Your malware thing sounds plausible Joe , bank online, search for nobsRus, write an email to the pope. :D

You maybe want to hold fire of the bank thingy until you get rid of the malware.

Your malware thing sounds plausible Joe , bank online, search for nobsRus, write an email to the pope. :D

You maybe want to hold fire of the bank thingy until you get rid of the malware.
Good point ta!
smilie_schreck.gif

I got fed up of paying for Norton AV and went AVI free edition which, a little birdie told me, is just as good.

Something for nothing? Free lunch? Hmmm :rolleyes:

I use Microsoft essentials,its their system so they ought to know how to protect it imho.

Antivirus software may not always deal with malware. Download Malwarebytes' free AntiMalware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Alternatively, clearing Cookies and Temp. Folders may help.

(In IE8) >>Tools>> Delete Browsing History>> tick boxes for Preserve Favourites, Temporary Internet Folders, Cookies, and History (probably the default setting anyway).

AVG Free is good, why pay for bells and whistles if you don't need them? Just be sure to keep it updated.

If all else fails, try here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/

HTH

Okay, I have found it doesn't happen at home for some reason. At work, (I won't mention where), we have arguably the best I.T. 'let nothing dodgy through' system of all.

So I still don't know why this site is unique to this problem I have at work, (during official allotted time), and no other legit good site
confused-smiley-013.gif

You would think, (I would have thought), with all the I.T. ‘wisdom’ it would be able to differentiate between a 'bad site’ and an innocent one like a respectful forum, but obviously not and for some strange reason this is the only one it has a hissy fit over. More
confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh well, I'm sorry for wasting time although it was worth it to get some great tips & links thanks :) Maybe, in time, others will find the same Big Brother intervention into your lives and this will make more sense.

For completeness, here’s what I get when logging in from the wrong place, for what it’s worth; after about 10 seconds and counting until I pull the plug...

Windows_Crash1.jpg

Er.. again.. sorry if it sounded like I was blaming DIYnot. I could have, should have, started this thread better. It's clearly a problem with I.T. and what the hec they see/do/censor/corrupt...

Thanks again guys/mods

Tone
action-smiley-010.gif

what version of IE are you using?

Make sure you have the latest or install mozilla firefox instead.

See if that helps the problem

Rob

Sponsored Links
Back