What the hell!!!

doyle said:
fact corgi are the regulating body that bring about prosecution of persons responsible for unsafe installation.
Interesting. Where have you gleaned this "fact" from? Some Act or Statutory Instrument? A CORGI publication? A newspaper? The Dandy?

rented property is a class of its own and has no relevence in who can conduct work in genral households, persons who test and certifies workmanship has sole responsibility for the installation no matter whom installed it regardless of whether they are registered corgi or not and installer SHOULD BE corgi registered.
I've lost count of the number of times I've re-read that paragraph, and yet I've failed to spot any meaning in it.

no i am not corgi i can and have worked on rented property it is legal so nerrrr.........................
Gas appliances in rented residential property are covered by the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

By law, a landlord must make sure that all the gas appliances they provide are maintained in good order and that a CORGI registered engineer carries out a safety check each year.

In the GSIUR the government said:
(2) Every landlord shall ensure that there is maintained in a safe condition -

(a) any relevant gas fitting; and
(b) any flue which serves any relevant gas fitting,

so as to prevent the risk of injury to any person in lawful occupation or relevant premises.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (2) above, a landlord shall -

(a) ensure that each appliance and flue to which that duty extends is checked for safety within 12 months of being installed and at intervals of not more than 12 months since it was last checked for safety (whether such check was made pursuant to these Regulations or not);
(4) Every landlord shall ensure that any work in relation to a relevant gas fitting or any check of a gas appliance or flue carried out pursuant to paragraphs (2) or (3) above is carried out by, or by an employee of, a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of regulation 3(3) of these Regulations.

Sponsored Links
person competent can install installation pipes in property belonging to them or any other persons provided they do not charge labour, it becomes an offence when labour is charged

Wrong.
The word is "employ" - which could just mean "use". No mention of money. It's ambiguous, until it's tested in court.

fact corgi are the regulating body that bring about prosecution of persons responsible for unsafe installation

Incorrect - the Health & Safety Executive instigate the prosecution; CORGI merely "police" the regulations. Same as the Police investigate offences but the prosecution is instigated by the Crown Prosecution Service.

Robert too said:
b****y hell , the lynching mob are out .

I dont see anywhere it was mentioned he was using plastic , isnt he allowed to carcass the install himself with a corgi god doing the final connection ?

Glad i dont have a neighbour like tilly :evil:

Hi haveabarney.com. sorry to cause the row here, but the builder hasn't fitted the pipe work yet, his daughter told me he's doing it next week, one reason I didn't jump the gun I wasn't sure what he was doing. But, I do know he's going to put a run of pipe in and connect it himself.

I never said he was using plastic pipe, the fact that a builder was doing the work was enough to get me worried.

I doubt he would get a corgi guy in to check his work, he won't pay a penny more than he has to for anything.

AS far as I'm aware there are certain laws for rented accommodation, thats why I warned the landlord( another cheapskate), about allowing this guy to do the work, as I said to him, if a reputable company does the work and a problem occurs, ( OK big bang) then they will have insurance.

And Hey Robert I happen to be a very good neighbour, so whats wrong with not wanting Bob the builder playing with something as explosive a gas??
How can a builder with no training be competent with gas work?, would he know how to make SAFE joints, would he know how to do a pressure test?, check the appliance he's fitted?, I suspect not.

All I have done is try to persuade them to get a corgi reg fitter in
It's like letting a dentist perform heart surgery.

Sponsored Links
tilly10 said:
I'm sat here terrfied... why? because a builder is fitting a cooker next door, there has never been gas in the kitchen, so he's not just connecting a push fit pipe, oh no he's hacking and banging, running a pipe from the meter to the kitchen.

I warned him weeks ago that only a corgi registered person should fit the cooker.
Should I wait for an explosion, ring the gas board or the police, after all isn't it unlawful to mess with gas if you aren't corgi registered?????? or is it only an offense after you've blown someone up?
Lynn

P.S the cooker is right on the other side of my dining room wall, BANG!! wall gone.

Relax. Their is a good chance you will survive a gas explosion.
My sister did. :D
She stuck her head in a gas oven once at her workplace wondering why it wouldnt ignite while someone hit the spark electrodes. BANG.
She had minor burns and looked like one of those cartoon characters you see in the animation movies when the stick of dynamite goes off with frissy hair and a big red face but was otherwise unharmed.

hehehe sounds like the old plumber gas man arguements still exist, but how long has it been since you got them books out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back