What the hell!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sat here terrfied... why? because a builder is fitting a cooker next door, there has never been gas in the kitchen, so he's not just connecting a push fit pipe, oh no he's hacking and banging, running a pipe from the meter to the kitchen.

I warned him weeks ago that only a corgi registered person should fit the cooker.
Should I wait for an explosion, ring the gas board or the police, after all isn't it unlawful to mess with gas if you aren't corgi registered?????? or is it only an offense after you've blown someone up?
Lynn

P.S the cooker is right on the other side of my dining room wall, BANG!! wall gone.

Sponsored Links
You could try........

The local goverment offices (in your phone book) and ask to speak to someone in the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) department, explain your fears.

Let us know how you get on.

I will, I just hope it won't be posting in " DIY disasters" lol

AS least the neighbouring walls are concrete!

Have you been round to discuss your fears in a civilised manner or are they the non approachable type?

Sponsored Links
scatmanjohn said:
Have you been round to discuss your fears in a civilised manner or are they the non approachable type?

I suspect not.

I would involve CORGI ar the HSE ASAP!

Dave

Soggy_weetabix said:
scatmanjohn said:

I suspect not.

I would involve CORGI ar the HSE ASAP!

Dave

and if he IS using plastic pipe

DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

simple terms no hes not allowed to use plastic pipes or fittings, i think you can ring the number on the front of your meter and transco will proberbly turn their supply off until it is rectified.
go to your meter cupboard ring the number and explain your fears let them sort it and if its dangerous then they have to cut the supply and will proberbly report to corgi and hse aswell.

Is this a wind up.

People who are not corgi registered do gas work very often. :rolleyes:

sod it.....

any concerns whats so ever ring gas emergency sevices, if no suitable response is given ring fire brigade who will force entry given risk of explosion......they are not just for after a fire has started but to prevent explosions in the first place.

i recon this must be a wind up anyone in there right mind would have called the emergency services if unsure how to go about it. failing that go on holiday and await the insurance claim and 6 mths in hostels until a new home is built

Thanks for all your replies, YES I id talk to the builder a few weeks ago ( he was replacing gutters) he told me then the landlord ( private) asked him to connect the cooker. I rang the landlord and reminded him he needed a certificate for certain work in his property. He acted all daft and said " it's OK I'll sort it"

The house in question ( next door) has only ever had electric in the kitchen, so I know it's not as simple as a push fit connection. Anyways the builders daughter has moved in, she told me her dad was going to connect the cooker for her.

I did say to both of them " I didn't want to be sitting waiting for an explosion, they both smiled, the builder said" nah don't be daft I have done loads of gas work".My reply.... " I'll report you if you touch it" lol

And NO this isn't a wind up, builders should stick to building, electricians to electrical work and the gas I would say should be left to corgi registered fitters,or at least some sort of qualifications.

As I say...... the house needs pipework from the meter to the kitchen, only thing he has to check his work is washing up liquid and water.

A few years ago a house on our estate had the whole side blown out through DIY gas work.

Oh!! plastic or copper... I don't know, all I do know is he's a cheap skate.

OK I'm going to ring the number that's on this thread
Thank guys

doyle said:
s** it.....

any concerns whats so ever ring gas emergency sevices, if no suitable response is given ring fire brigade who will force entry given risk of explosion......they are not just for after a fire has started but to prevent explosions in the first place.

i recon this must be a wind up anyone in there right mind would have called the emergency services if unsure how to go about it. failing that go on holiday and await the insurance claim and 6 mths in hostels until a new home is built

It's NOT a wind up, if I was 100% sure he was doing the work yesterday I would have found someone to ring, as it is I'm going to knock later ( with some excuse to get in) I'll see if the camping stove has gone.

Honestly it's not a wind up, I don't want to jump the gun, imagine how embarrassed I'd be if he was connecting water pipes.

Ring the number and tell them whats been going on and tell them you think you got a slight wiff of gas as you was walking past the house.

Then just wait for the transco van to pull up (very quickly so don't blink). ;)

If he sees anything dodgy he will cut the gas off ;)

bloody hell , the lynching mob are out .

I dont see anywhere it was mentioned he was using plastic , isnt he allowed to carcass the install himself with a corgi god doing the final connection ?

Glad i dont have a neighbour like tilly :evil:

Robert too said:
b****y hell , the lynching mob are out .

I dont see anywhere it was mentioned he was using plastic , isnt he allowed to carcass the install himself with a corgi god doing the final connection ?

Glad i dont have a neighbour like tilly :evil:

The builder is installing gas pipework for "gain" this is illegal - you must be registered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back