What to fill floorboard gaps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have some thin gaps between my floorboards which I want to fill, the gaps have been previously filled but due to them being the boards which move a little when stood on I think the filler has fallen through. What brand, name of product is good for this? The previous owners have used a hard filler with seems to be fine, but I don't know what it is (pictured)

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,203
  • filler.jpg
    filler.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 358
Sponsored Links
If they're upstairs and not causing a draught consider whether they really need filling, it's a tedious job and the boards look good as they are

The traditional way was to mix pva and sanding dust but proprietry fillers are available like bona fix and fill:

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/bona-mix-fill

It needs to be mixed with sanding dust to work.

There is no guarantee that the filler will remain in situ when repeatedly walked over, that's how the previous filler may have disappeared.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Several ways I considered when doing mine.

1. Bona mix and fill. As already stated, you use clean sanding dust to mix in with it.

2. Slivers. Long, thin wooden slivers slightly wedge shaped. Glued and hammered into the cracks. Then chisled off and floor sanded.

3. Cork slivers. Similar to above

All really require you to be renovating the floor. You might get away with the cork if not.

Room gets very cold in winter as there is a cellar underneath. And there are loads of cracks/gaps!

Take down the cellar ceiling (plasterboard?), fill between joists with mineral wool insulation batts, replace plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back