1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What type of aerial socket do I need?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by darrenbgray, 9 Mar 2015.

1. darrenbgray

darrenbgray

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I am replacing my sockets in the house and am using MK Logic Plus but I'm a little confused which socket I need. It is just a tv socket (not satellite) although I do have a link system where satellite tv is piped round the house via a box in the loft.

I think it is one of these 3?

MK K3551WHI MK Logic Single TV Socket (Female)
    MK K3520WHI MK Logic Single Non Isolated TV - FM Socket (Male)
    MK K3521WHI MK Logic Single Isolated TV Socket (Male)

Many thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    First one.

4. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. Deryck Tintagel

Deryck Tintagel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Personally, I use the MK satellite F connector plates for UHF without any issues. Easier to connect than the standard UHF plates. MK are top quality but I had no end of problems connecting to the plate so I swapped to the F-connector

6. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There are three basic sockets.
    1) With no passive components used to ensure items like digi eyes and mast heat amps can get DC supply.
    2) With capacitors to isolate used to connect directly to aerial to ensure during electrical storms you will not get a shock from the socket.
    3) With band filters designed as a pair with another similar box so FM, DAB, UHF and satellite signals can be combined and separated so reducing cables.

The main point to consider one should never earth an aerial fitting outside as that makes it like a lighting conductor i.e. it would attract a lighting strike. So some where between the aerial and your socket there has to be a filter with allows AC but not DC this could be the plate or it could be a mast head amplifier. Once it is isolated then one can earth.

So my house aerial goes to living room with an isolated socket. From this to Sky box and Sky box to VCR and VCR to splitter/preamp then one to TV and one to a non isolated socket and to loft. In the loft another splitter/preamp then sends it to each bedroom and kitchen and dinning room where again a non isolated socket is used so every TV in the house can receive Freeview, Sky, and output from VCR. Also the Sky remote works in every room.

Today there are better systems this was set up late 80's but is shows why we have isolated and non isolated sockets.

Clearly with a loft aerial you can have all non isolated sockets.

P.S. a socket is called female a plug is called male.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When you can get either gender on a face place and either gender on the end of a cable, "plug" and "socket" aren't very useful terms.

9. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I call this [​IMG] a male most wall plates [​IMG] are female. So both types here [​IMG] I would call female. I realise with the F type there is a problem as when inner is female the outer is male. But the lead will nearly always have this [​IMG] on it and if you want reverse you use one of these [​IMG] and if you want old type connector one of these [​IMG] or these [​IMG] so it really does not matter so easy to swap. Using [​IMG] is a real pain as so easy to get a poor connection where wire enters centre pin. Years ago I would either kink wire or solder today that problem no longer exists.

10. darrenbgray

darrenbgray

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Many thanks for all the replies and help. Does this mean I can't use a matching MK Logic Plus socket? Although the first reply seemed to suggest the first option would be ok?

11. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    It may be - or it can be made to be.

As Eric has said, it depends.
    You could use female sockets (as you pictured) if you have male plugs on the cable or
    vice versa, it doesn't matter.

So, use whatever socket you want to match and change the cable plug.

Beware though, as I have seen adverts where the description is for what you want but the picture is not.

12. darrenbgray

darrenbgray

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just in case anyone is reading this in the future, I have contacted MK and they have advised me I need K3551WHI (which is screened)

13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local