What type of metal is my shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering if somebody could take an educated guess as to what type of metal my shed is made of.

Built somewhere between 1960-1975. It's non ferrous (non magnetic at least). It's shiny if you scrape off the green paint, and is pretty malleable.

To tell the truth I'm wondering if it's worth anything as scrap!

Attachments

• 20210621_201024.jpg
    20210621_201024.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Looks a decent old shed, why are you taking it down? I would've thought it would be galvanised steel, are you sure it's not magnetic?

Yes it will be worth money as scrap, but the sheets will be worth even more than scrap value if you can get them off fairly intact. Put them on gumtree etc

I would imagine it to be galvanised mild steel but, if it is definately not magnetic, then it will probably be aluminium.

Looks a decent old shed, why are you taking it down? I would've thought it would be galvanised steel, are you sure it's not magnetic?

Yes it will be worth money as scrap, but the sheets will be worth even more than scrap value if you can get them off fairly intact. Put them on gumtree etc

It is a decent shed, but it's too big for a shed, not weather proof enough for an outbuilding (workshop, gym, etc), and it's in a bad position blocking our views across open fields. Plus it'll eventually be in the way of a planned extension.

Definitely not magnetic. I think the best way to get it down will be systematic disassembly, so if I grind off the bolt heads I should get sheets off in tact.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine it to be galvanised mild steel but, if it is definately not magnetic, then it will probably be aluminium.

Definitely not magnetic... If it's aluminium I'll be happy. 60 years old and no sign of corrosion anywhere on the sheets, so seems plausible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back