What would be a reaonable cost for this work?

Far from having a clue about the job i drove the hundred miles or so to my mums and dealt with it myself total time 1.5 hours materials £10
nice visit with my mum thrown in.
:)[/quote]
So if she was not your mum what would you have charged seeing that you had to drive a 100 miles or so? She is not our mum

Has a professional :LOL: electrician i have plenty of dealings with plumbers and can confirm they are merely heating engineers with their brains removed
It must be true if you say it is

Sponsored Links
Far from having a clue about the job i drove the hundred miles or so to my mums and dealt with it myself total time 1.5 hours materials £10
:)
So if she was not your mum what would you have charged seeing that you had to drive a 100 miles or so? She is not our mum

Has a professional :LOL: electrician i have plenty of dealings with plumbers and can confirm they are merely heating engineers with their brains removed
It must be true if you say it is[/quote]

I love it
Oddly enough my mum got a quote from a company within 5 miles of her home

I did spend a conserderable amount of time,effort and money to progress from being 'just heating engineer with my brains removed' to becoming....er a heating engineer.

However, i said in my peice take an hourly rate.....in your scenario it wouldn't have cost 198 + Vat.....you would have had the job done 'reasonably' But believe me i don't rip people off and i am telling you that a lot, possiblibly more than 50% of the jobs become more than'the work quoted for'........bet you wouldn't have crowed so loud if you drained and then couldn't get it unairlocked......yeh, if it went well the quote was a tad high but it wasn't a rip off.......but like i said....he was taking the risk....not you. Stop whinging.

lets just hope it doesn't leak later on, fair play doing it yourself, thought the quote was reasonable to cover for any mishaps.

Sponsored Links
just a matter of interest dcwuk. after say, going collage for years paid by yourself at around 4-5 grand then doing oftec and corgi, at say 1-2 grand plus all the other add ons.then you started a buisness, what would you have charged for the job?

Has a professional electrician i have plenty of dealings with plumbers and can confirm they are merely heating engineers with their brains removed

So you spent four hours traveling and 1.5 house doing the job making a totaly of 5.5 hours. But after each journey you should have rested for 30 minutes so that was really 6.5 hours on nearly a full day. I wonder how much a self employed electrician would have charged for a 6.5 hour job with a round trip of 200 miles! ( Hope there are no call backs at that distance away ! )

Whilst I am pleased to hear that you are a qualified 17th Edition Electrician, its a pity that your general education stopped short of including using a capital letter for " I have" etc.

Tony

regarding a heating engineer and a solicitor, a soliciter only requires a 40 percent pass in his finals whereas a heating engineer on his gas side requires a 100 percent pass.

I did spend a conserderable amount of time,effort and money to progress from being 'just heating engineer with my brains removed' to becoming....er a heating engineer.

However, i said in my peice take an hourly rate.....in your scenario it wouldn't have cost 198 + Vat.....you would have had the job done 'reasonably' But believe me i don't rip people off and i am telling you that a lot, possiblibly more than 50% of the jobs become more than'the work quoted for'........bet you wouldn't have crowed so loud if you drained and then couldn't get it unairlocked......yeh, if it went well the quote was a tad high but it wasn't a rip off.......but like i said....he was taking the risk....not you. Stop whinging.

Your right i could have had problems but i did not and i took the risk.
I do not quote jobs with a built in allowance if it goes wrong experience tells me what a jobs worth and if it goes wrong well the next job won`t so its swings and roundabouts as for winging don`t know what your on about :D

just a matter of interest dcwuk. after say, going collage for years paid by yourself at around 4-5 grand then doing oftec and corgi, at say 1-2 grand plus all the other add ons.then you started a buisness, what would you have charged for the job?

well I was lucky enough to go to college as an apprentice but any further qualifications have been funded by myself.
Two hours work 5 miles from base, no parking problems £100 +vat

So you spent four hours traveling and 1.5 house doing the job making a totaly of 5.5 hours.
But after each journey you should have rested for 30 minutes so that was really 6.5 hours on nearly a full day.
...its a pity that your general education...

:idea:

well I was lucky enough to go to college as an apprentice but any further qualifications have been funded by myself.
Two hours work 5 miles from base, no parking problems £100 +vat

As a tradesman you should know that jobs are sometimes priced euphamistically meaning that the tradesman in question doesn't want the work however on this occasion I really don't see what your complaining about ,£117.50 for two hours work from any tradesman is not that much and the job you are offering someone is not exactly a decent job for most plumbers.

Personally I would advise the cylinder is replaced because that is much more cost effective than a plumber spending two hours,at least,trying to repair a leak such as the one you describe on an old cylinder without any gaurantee that it will

A) be successful

&

B) Last.

I certainly wouldn't gaurantee a job of this nature beyond about a month.

As a matter of interest just how much do you charge in your capacity as an electrician per hour?

Where I am the going rate is around £60 an hour.

dcwuk

How much will a sparky normally charge for supplying and fitting an immersion heater ???????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back