What would be a reaonable cost for this work?

So if he spends 2 hours trying to unairlock a system

And if he fails in 2 Hours he may well be there all day, and the next day.
All for a fixed price of £198.96 + vat OUCH :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
also lets look at the responsibility we have hanging over our heads ie the case where the little girl died after the tank burst,the 2 bg men facing manslaughter charges. Ive had enough of customers haggling over prices, they dont haggle over prices on car services etc yet i think our work is harder and sometimes more risky. Like i said before if you dont like the price dont have them do it.

So if he spends 2 hours trying to unairlock a system

And if he fails in 2 Hours he may well be there all day, and the next day.
All for a fixed price of £198.96 + vat OUCH :!: :!:
So you base all your quotes on the possibility that things will go wrong eh?
If i took that view i would not even bother getting out of bed in the morning :eek: :eek:

also lets look at the responsibility we have hanging over our heads ie the case where the little girl died after the tank burst,the 2 bg men facing manslaughter charges. Ive had enough of customers haggling over prices, they dont haggle over prices on car services etc yet i think our work is harder and sometimes more risky. Like i said before if you dont like the price dont have them do it.

So lets all price our jobs on this premiss shall we "sorry the quotes so high but i might kill you "
your having a laugh mate

Sponsored Links
presumably you want the work guaranteed. you will also want him to rectify any accidental damage(liability insurance) you expect him to have dust sheets , the correct tools and transport to go and get the parts and return to and from the property (transport insurance, tax, maintenance, fuel) etc etc. Get the message.

your quite right i do expect all of the above but i do not consider that my mother needs to pay such an amount for this service

Personally i think its a ridiculous amount of money given the cost of the materials and not being a H&V engineer or plumber i thought i would ask on here

The cost of the materials is minute.

However there are two hours work involved!

If you go to a solicitor you will find that they charge about £300 + per hour for work they do in their own offices.

Bearing in mind that there will probably be an hours travelling/parking time. Why do you consider £66 per hour is a "ridiculous amount of money" ?

Why do you apparently think that a skilled plumber should be paid less than a solicitor/accountant/doctor etc?

In any case the original sealing washer is on the INSIDE of the cylinder. Any usual repair would not be able to reinstate the original situation.

Tony

Did you go to law or medical school for several years or get a degree to be come a plumber?
You cannot justify high prices by using these examples and i fail to see the point of making such remarks.
All the plumbers i have spoken to feel the price is high and i would be interested to know of others that base their quotes on £66 per hour.
This is a fairly simple job to a skilled tradesman and the law of averages say this will be a straight forward job. I know things can go wrong but not every time, certainly if i based my quotes on the idea that things will go wrong i would soon be out of business

dcwuk";p="961610 said:
your quite right i do expect all of the above but i do not consider that my mother needs to pay such an amount for this service

so why bother asking?? you've clearly made up your mind that its too expensive, despite a majority of people saying its reasonable. Go and get another qoute if you want, but just remember the cheapest qoute isn't always the best one.

mickyg";p="961618 said:

so why bother asking?? you've clearly made up your mind that its too expensive, despite a majority of people saying its reasonable. Go and get another qoute if you want, but just remember the cheapest qoute isn't always the best one.
I was asking for opinions on the quote and i cannot see a majority on here only people trying to justify themselves by preaching about transport costs ,insurance and manslaughter!
I am aware that cheapest is not always best but on the other hand i do not expect my mother to be ripped off by someone just because it may all go wrong

This is a fairly simple job to a skilled tradesman and the law of averages say this will be a straight forward job.
Sir you clearly don't have a clue about the job though you seem to have made up your mind. If you think it's simple, try it.

Here's a very simple question for you:
If it's just a leaking joint why not put a spanner on it and do it up a bit more?
Do a degree in Mech Eng if you like, you still won't know. Spend the same time learning to be a plumber and you might.
Bus drivers earn £30Kpa and don't have to run a company. Do your sums.

A highly respected plumbing company near me charges £90 per hour + vat. You pay while they find somewhere to park, and if there are two people in the van you pay double.

There's no such thing as an "unreasonable" quote, it's simply an offer with no obligation whatsoever on your part to accept. If you don't like it, tough.

I would have come in at 4 hours @ 60 + vat, plus materials if that helps. Drain downs and refills and getting rid of air are usually a pita and I don't imagine I would be able to squeeze in any more work for that half a day.

That said I wouldn't touch a job like that with a shiity stick!

ChrisR";p="961630 said:
This is a fairly simple job to a skilled tradesman and the law of averages say this will be a straight forward job.
Sir you clearly don't have a clue about the job though you seem to have made up your mind. If you think it's simple, try it.

Here's a very simple question for you:
If it's just a leaking joint why not put a spanner on it and do it up a bit more?
Do a degree in Mech Eng if you like, you still won't know. Spend the same time learning to be a plumber and you might.
Bus drivers earn £30Kpa and don't have to run a company. Do your sums.

A highly respected plumbing company near me charges £90 per hour + vat. You pay while they find somewhere to park, and if there are two people in the van you pay double.

Far from having a clue about the job i drove the hundred miles or so to my mums and dealt with it myself total time 1.5 hours materials £10
nice visit with my mum thrown in.
Has a professional electrician i have plenty of dealings with plumbers and can confirm they are merely heating engineers with their brains removed

:)

Far from having a clue about the job i drove the hundred miles or so to my mums and dealt with it myself total time 1.5 hours materials £10
nice visit with my mum thrown in.

So we have an answer to the original question...4.5 houts at 66 p.h plus parts plus vat = 360.72.

Making the answer....yes it was a reasonable cost.

I m factoring fuel into the hourly labour chrage btw to keep costs down!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back