What would be a reaonable cost for this work?

Sponsored Links
How much will a sparky normally charge...
A sparky?! I missed this nuance the first time around.

And what if the "sparky" finds that the gate valve is broken or seized, and the main stop cock. Will the "sparky" replace those?

rolling-on-the-floor.gif

Sponsored Links
How much will a sparky normally charge...
A sparky?! I missed this nuance the first time around.

And what if the "sparky" finds that the gate valve is broken or seized, and the main stop cock. Will the "sparky" replace those?

http://www.vocalizedink.org/community/images/smilies/yahoe/rolling-on
-the-floor.gif
This sparky would have a go :LOL:

dcwuk

How much will a sparky normally charge for supplying and fitting an immersion heater ???????

£ 65 to £75 plus vat

So your chargeable hourly rate is about £50+Vat?

Less though if the immersion is a side entry six or four bolt job or God forbid a two bolt one,h'mmm.

must confess i am only talking about conventional top or bottom entry entry elements despite the subject of this thread i know when to leave well alone :LOL:

many experienced plumbers would leave a leaking heating coil boss on a cylinder well alone too!

After leaking for a while the thin copper wall can become very corroded and be foil thin.

Tony

Yes i see your point.
I was told the life of a tank is about 2 years. the one at my mums is 6 years old.
So far no further leaks but i have a feeling that is more luck than skill on my behalf :!: :)

A copper cylinder with a scrificial anode should last about 15-20 years.

Many dont have a magnesium anode but even so in normal water conditions should last 12-15 years as long as the water is not too soft.

In your case the problem was probably simply that the nut was first fitted loose and had never been checked after installation or on any routine inspection.

Tony

As stated above 2 years is very short i would be very unhappy if i was a customer if a cylinder lasted only 2 years. Wish they did though would be happy days all round :D

How long do you think the guarantee is?
What's that got to do with it?

The cylinder has to be of "satisfactory quality" and "fit for purpose". Any half decent lawyer would have no problem in showing that a cylinder which only lasted two years failed both of these statutory tests.

Your question is irrelevant.

The cylinder has to be of "satisfactory quality" and "fit for purpose". Any half decent lawyer would have no problem in showing that a cylinder which only lasted two years failed both of these statutory tests.
That's a good one. It must be the way you tell 'em. :D

Your question is irrelevant.
It's not my question which is irrelevant, it's the length of the guarantee which is irrelevant.

That's a good one. It must be the way you tell 'em. :D
OK, let me tell you another one!

Many years ago, may be 20 or 30, a man purchased a second-hand Jaguar with about 50k on the clock. He informed the dealer that he would be using the car for a long holiday touring Europe and he was assured that the car would be OK - it had been fully serviced and came with a warranty.

Satisfied, the man went away for his holidays. A few weeks later, disaster struck when the engine blew up.

When the Jag owner eventually got back from his holidays, he tried to claim against the warranty given by the dealer. But he refused to play ball, saying that you could not expect a car with 50k on the clock to be fault free etc.

The Jag owner was not to be put off, so he took the dealer to court and produced expert witnesses from Jaguar who testified that their engines were designed to last at least 100k miles.

The dealer lost and had to pay all the owners costs etc etc.

came with a warranty.

...... A few weeks later, disaster struck

expert witnesses from Jaguar who testified that their engines were designed to last at least 100k miles.

The man was covered because he had a warranty which extended beyond a few weeks, not because of what Jaguar said.

The dealer had to pay, not the manufacturer. They don't give a 100,000 mile warranty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back