what would happen if

ellal said:
Looks like Thermo's after this in a christmas stocking....
Or is it this....

mushroom.gif

Sponsored Links
How comes things so deadly look so beautiful..........

Thermo said:
softus, all in equal quantities all at the same time!
The outcome would have a random component because not every element would be touching every other element.

Since the number of permutations in which all of the elements can touch is so large, the task of answering your question accurately is impossibly big.

It still depends on the temperature (which you haven't stipulated) but there are enough volatile element pairings that would lead to at least one high temperature reaction, and enough other explosive elements (and readily formed compounds) that would be detonated by such a reaction, so at some point the surroundings would be littered with various forms of radiation, most of which would be toxic to living organisms.

Bottom line - don't try it at home.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
You took a small and equal amount of every element of the periodic table and put them into a beaker at the same time?
There's a cocktail bar in Sheffield that charges £5.99 for one of these.

Softus said:
there are enough volatile element pairings that would lead to at least one high temperature reaction, and enough other explosive elements (and readily formed compounds) that would be detonated by such a reaction

Interested to know which "pairings" you would consider volatile. For instance you can quite happily fill a balloon with two ppv hydrogen and 1 ppv oxygen with no untoward effects.

Thermo said:
You took a small and equal amount of every element of the periodic table and put them into a beaker at the same time?
The world as we know it would end. It would set off a chain reaction so fierce and large, that nobody could stop it. Only those in nuclear bunkers would be safe. A nuclear winter would follow. The few survivors would be transported to mars, a new planet for them to wreck.

Please dont try it. :LOL:

Eddie M said:
Interested to know which "pairings" you would consider volatile. For instance you can quite happily fill a balloon with two ppv hydrogen and 1 ppv oxygen with no untoward effects.
add a hint of solid soduim (i think), and you've got yourself a self-inflating balloon ;) :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
Eddie M said:
add a hint of solid soduim (i think), and you've got yourself a self-inflating balloon ;) :LOL:

No, that would be ok too, the sodium would almost immediately coat itself in sodium oxide. I'd be happy to do that experiment. I think Phosphorous is still my bogey man to get things going.

Eddie M said:
Interested to know which "pairings" you would consider volatile.
I'll be happy to have the contents of my fading memory corrected, but I seem to remember that solid Sodium and liquid Oxygen tend towards covalent bonding.

______

Edit - in the light of the previous post, which I read after posting the above, it appears that you already know of a volatile pairing. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back