What's a reasonable charge for the quote for doing a small building repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need a lintel put in over a double glazed window because the window installers failed to install one when the old wooden window, which acted as the lintel, was replaced. What is the "normal" charge for providing a quote for this type of job? So far I've had one who wants £100 for the quote which he'll only provide in writing when we accept the job! He's FMB registered.

Sponsored Links
100 pounds charge for a quote? That's a new one!
By the time they've turned up for a look they don't have to think too much.
We had 5 quotes for a complicated extension and didn't pay for any!

Exactly John. I was taken aback a bit to find they wanted money just for the quote. His excuse was that they'd be out of business if he provided written quotes for nothing for every job he did. It's the sort of job I can do myself but it's not my house. It's a 5 minute job though to look at it and know exactly what needs doing. £100 seems exceessive. If he'd said £20 for a written quote I might have not been so surprised but would ssttill have expected a free quote all the same.

Oh, I should have said, he did say he'd knock the £100 off the cost of the job if we take him, but still!

Well, from their point of view quoting is lost time, so they only want serious people,but as is doing accounts, driving around, lunch breaks, etc and all that should be priced into jobs overall.

Sponsored Links
What is the "normal" charge
Zero.
However, I drove past a job (that I didn't get) t'uther day and they were digging the footings out. It was a £70 grand+ jobby and took me about three days of office time to complete the quote. He never even acknowledged the quote.
I feel like billing him for my time.

Well, from their point of view quoting is lost time, so they only want serious people,but as is doing accounts, driving around, lunch breaks, etc and all that should be priced into jobs overall.

It's a fair point but it makes a mockery of these websites that say always get at least three quotes before getting a job done. I'd be £300 out of pocket before a single brick's been laid!

Zero.
However, I drove past a job (that I didn't get) t'uther day and they were digging the footings out. It was a £70 grand+ jobby and took me about three days of office time to complete the quote. He never even acknowledged the quote.

Well zero is what I expected for this basic job. In your case though I think you'd be totally justified in billing for the quote and personally i wouldn't gripe too much about paying for it either if I knew you'd put three days' office time in on it.

If someone wants the work, they would be happy to quote for it at no cost.

If someone charges for a quote, there are implications as to their whole attitude and working ethos, and you would probably not want to employ them in the first place. He'll charge you £100 for the quote and then add this to the job anyway. Probably.

If a builder has even half a clue he will have done this work before, and just on the phone he can ask if its ground or first floor, external or internal too and the window size. Then he can give an estimate, and if he wants the work get off his fat ass and come round and have a look.

You should go back in the middle of the night and fill the trench with concrete, that'll teach them to waste your time!!
free sample? "look at the standard of trench fill foundations you're missing out on" :LOL:

Zero.

I know how annoying that is.

They chase, chase, chase for the quote. Email it off, they dont even have the courtesy to confirm receipt and say they will be in touch.

Its best to work on the theory, rude people like that dont make good customers.

I expect the person who got the job spent 2 hours on the quote, probably underpriced it and will sting the client for loads of extras.

I obviously don't know what was said in the conversation, but he may be worried it's not a genuine job, and you just want the quote to show a price to someone

Just out of interest- how much is he (verbally) quoting?

I normally put a couple of strong boys through and either a 6b4 concrete lintel inside, spanlite outer leaf or just a catnic for £300 to £350.

I don't charge for quotes but I never disclose the materials list or method of works.

It's daft the trade don't charge for quotes tbh on certain jobs, i.e. Extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back