What's annoyed you?

Sponsored Links
If tips annoy you here, don't go out to eat in New York. Waiters try to ingratiate themselves to enhance you ambience.

Had a meal in Chinatown there few years back. Thought we would go around the corner to Little Italy for Dessert. Was just 2 desserts brought to our table, nothing else. Waitress had written a $14 tip on the bill which doubled the total. Questioning it ended in a blazing row with the waitress (I started off politely and diplomatically - never had anyone having a go at me in a broad East Side accent before, one of the unique experiences you only get from travelling). Was told that if I didn't want to pay it was "my problem". "Sorry love," I told her - "it's actually your problem because I was going to a give a 'reasonable' tip, now you're getting SFA!"

Last edited:
I suppose if it stops them saying "there you go" when they dump a crooked plate in front of you, maybe it's worth something.

Some of the trying too hard US style things waitresses and shop assistants say to customers can grate a bit in UK. When a waitress puts the food in front of me and says "enjoy" I sometimes say "don't you tell me what to do" in a cross voice. Only in jest though, I give them a wink and big smile as soon as I see shock on their faces. ;)

The most annoying one is a bit long.
I was trying to park, in one of those car parks which is full so all you can do is go round and round.
So I sat at the entrance to the "circle", blocking the way. I could see all the car park so it was a queue, in effect. A little guy in a little car came up behind and started beeping.
"WHat you do" - I told him I was waiting for a space.
So he said he had to go and he couldn't reverse the 15 yds from the way in. "I not park then, I want go". " You let me by I go round and out".

So I moved .
Someone came for their car, so he blocked me and took the space.
I got out, livid. a foot taller than him and twice as wide. One option was to kill him. The other was to just drive off, so that's what I did.

Sponsored Links
Where there is a multiple car parking bay marked at the side of the road, where they are not marked as individual bays - where some drivers park half a car length in from the bay end, wasting the space, maybe making a bay long enough for three, only able to be used for two cars.

Locally, we have marked bus stop bay, double yellow lines, a single car parking bay, more double yellows, then a long bay for four cars. Right where the single bay is located, there is a large 'spoons, which has regular deliveries. The only place the driver can park to unload, is where the single bay is, or if that is occupied, he has to park in the bus bay. Had they simply added the single bay, to the other four bays, as a single continuous bay, it would have been sensible and the delivery lorry would have had plenty of space to unload on the double yellows. Instead, what we get on a narrow shopping street is chaos.

Lorry blocks bus bay, buses cannot pull in, so entire road comes to a stop whilst passengers get on and off. The 'spoons opened, then the road layout and parking layout came latter. I wonder who's bright idea it was, to put a single bay, smack in the middle?

Drove into town earlier today - very busy, car parks all full. Massive queue was backing up from one car park all because of one those berks who waits blocking the way for someone to leave! Stupid great old Volvo or something. I've got a little Nissan Panda which is quite nippy, and I managed to nip up behind the numpty and started beeping to try and move him on, others were cheering as I did so. Next minute the driver gets out, all purple in the face and steams toward me! He was a little fella but was puffing himself up to his full five-foot-four. Geography teacher type, tweed jacket with elbow patches, probably a potholer. Now I'm only five-foot-two with my tin foil hat on and being small I can usually get away with things, but he wouldn't have it, calling me shortarse and everything and properly giving me a piece of his mind in that patronising way potholing geography teachers have where they close their eyes whilst they are speaking to you and open them at the end of each sentence. He was making a big deal of being two inches taller than me. Anyway I did what I always do in these situations - pretend that I can't speak Engrish. As he got ever more apoplectic I retreated back to the car and managed to dart into a space that had cleared whilst all this had been going on, put my krooklock on, got out and discreetly waltzed off to the pub. Eventually he drove off making massive tyre screeching noises that were almost drowned out by cheers from the other drivers who were now able to get into the car park!

Last edited by a moderator:
Drove into town earlier today - very busy, car parks all full. Massive queue was backing up from one car park all because of one those berks who waits blocking the way for someone to leave! Stupid great old Volvo or something. I've got a little Nissan Panda which is quite nippy, and I managed to nip up behind the numpty and started beeping to try and move him on, others were cheering as I did so. Next minute the driver gets out, all purple in the face and steams toward me! He was a little fella but was puffing himself up to his full five-foot-four. Geography teacher type, tweed jacket with elbow patches, probably a potholer. Now I'm only five-foot-two with my tin foil hat on and being small I can usually get away with things, but he wouldn't have it, calling me shortarse and everything and properly giving me a piece of his mind in that patronising way potholing geography teachers have where they close their eyes whilst they are speaking to you and open them at the end of each sentence. He was making a big deal of being two inches taller than me. Anyway I did what I always do in these situations - pretend that I can't speak Engrish. As he got ever more apoplectic I retreated back to the car and managed to dart into a space that had cleared whilst all this had been going on, put my krooklock on, got out and discreetly waltzed off to the pub. Eventually he drove off making massive tyre screeching noises that were almost drowned out by cheers from the other drivers who were now able to get into the car park!
Carry sugar for muppets now, into the gas tank with it. That you'd find annoying.

Last edited:
I'm OCD about things like scissors. It is my worst nightmare if a pair of scissors cannot be found in the usual places. Being a clever type of person, I purchased several pairs of scissors & placed them in strategic locations around the house so whenever I needs 'em I knows where to find 'em.

Are they ever there? Are they hell.

Why is it that UK waiters randomly ask you how your meal is? I'll let you know thank you.
known in the trade as a "check back"

I believe some of the chains have a computer system with a screen that flags up "check back table 14"

you can tell its awfully genuine by the way the waiter doesnt hang around for an answer.

Some of the trying too hard US style things waitresses and shop assistants say to customers can grate a bit in UK. When a waitress puts the food in front of me and says "enjoy" I sometimes say "don't you tell me what to do" in a cross voice. Only in jest though, I give them a wink and big smile as soon as I see shock on their faces. ;)
when I was in America, I got right into the culture; a waiter said to me "have a nice day" and I didnt, so I sued him

This annoys me. Bloody everywhere although they are using the bigger catering bottles these days so easier to pick up.

42B6C0E4-AC15-4DA3-9AE9-5DABDBCE5615.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back