What's the best van ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best van ?

I don't really want a big transit type van.

I like the look of the Ford Connect but it is pricey compared to the Fiat Doblo. Ok the Doblo is bloody ugly ! But at least it is cheap :LOL:

So what van do you have and is it the best you have had ?

Sponsored Links
vauxhall combo duel fuel
but obviously you want something bigger

have the new despatch on lease, but the small engine one wouldn't give one to my worst enemy. 35 mpg np torque no power. I bought it because I thought it would be like driving an estate car, or people carrier, whereas in fact it drives like a bisquit tin full of nails on leaf springs. what a pile of shyte.

i've got a old shape dispatch hdi, and think it's pretty good, get 35ish to the gallon with a roofrack and it goes pretty well, try driving a new one, i'd go for a 136!!

I'm with ant954, I have an old shape (2004) Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD (same as Dispatch hdi/Peugeot Expert). It's quicker than my Carlton, and almost as pleasant to drive. Good fuel economy, great acceleration and will do the ton! :rolleyes:

Went for the top of the range, so in addition to the standard twin side doors (makes life really easy) it has aircon. leccie windows, leccie and heated mirrors, colour coded bumpers, fogs etc.Another advantage over Connects and smaller vans is the double passender seat.

Must be the best and most versatile small/mid sized van going. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Sponsored Links
2003 Vauxhall Combo 1.7 Dti

35 - 50mpg depending on load in the back.

Kinda low down feels like your driving a car.

Acceleration not great.

Quite spacey in back for what it looks, would suite your kinda work.

A friend of mine has a Ford Connect, it's smart, the acceleration is alot better, feel higher up (which I like). Only downfall is the back, it's really cubed and small, don't think it's ideal for a plumber wanting to fit radiators in the back of his van.

Its down to how much you want to spend and what floats your boat.
Happy Hunting, took me a over a year to decide and get what I wanted.

DO NOT BUY A CONNECT!!!!!!!!!

I have a T220 connect it is the worst vehicle i have ever owned
so far it has been to 6 different ford dealerships and it is still faulty

it's hadreplaced:
spare wheel carrier
central locking aerial
central locking activation unit
every door lock replaced
4 blip keys
cam shaft sensor
alternator drive shaft
3 alternators
2 batteries
radio aerial
over 50 fuses
numerous bulbs
3 bodysides (drivers side)
2 rear bumper corners (existing one is also broken)
Turbo repaired 3 times

in addition to this the central locking doesn't work properly, the wing mirrors don't adjust (electronic) battery goes flat regularly (can't start it if left for more than a day) struggles to start in the morning / rattles badly for about a minute when cold

Customer service from Ford is non existant.

do you need any more reasons :cry:

i've got a old shape dispatch hdi, and think it's pretty good, get 35ish to the gallon with a roofrack and it goes pretty well, try driving a new one, i'd go for a 136!!

mine is a new one, pile of shyte. Can't wait for the lease to end in July.

Only downfall is the back, it's really cubed and small, don't think it's ideal for a plumber wanting to fit radiators in the back of his van.

trust me it isn't. I have a trailer and a roof rack!

Why don't you invest in a van? :)

believe me if work wasn't in such short supply i would. but for the moment i'm stuck with the Turkish heap of sh*te plus the trailer which is totally reliable had to replace a wheel bearing a couple of weeks ago and that was the first thing wrong in 5 years even that was only wobbly and didn't fail completely.
the heap of cr*p has a season ticket with the garage!!

If I were in the market for a smaller van I'd be well tempted to go for a people carrier- my old "van" was a mitsubushi delica L400 (proper 4x4 offroad shogun-related ppl carrier) and limo tint it.

Before that I had a seat inca (VW caddy in all but name) and that was a good van. bog standard 1.9D was adequate, not like hopelessly underpowered v**xhall combo PoS, and apart from some dipstick grease monkey breaking off a glo plug socket and pretending like nothing was wrong it was as reliable as a wood burning stove. would have another without a second thought if I wanted a van of that size, but need my V6 TDI vito now:cool:

I know you said don't want something as big as a transit....but mine (swb med roof 280/85) 5yrs old next week, never missed a beat, get 35+gal (I drive gently) got to be worth a thought!

agree with earl the BRITISH built transit's are good The TURKISH built Connect's are NOT.

VW transporter is popular round here and that is probably what I will get when funds allow

i can't fault my renault trafic on my second one now and its been brilliant

Sponsored Links
Back